more Chinese drawing [photo]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is another quick one

You could ask, arnaud can’t you make a nicer design? In fact I can make a thousand different ones. If I would have drawn on paper, probably I would start over several times.

I start with a backbone, is it the best backbone I can think of, no it isn’t. But I try to finish it a way it will look the best I can, solving some backbone problems by adding leaves the way it looks nice.

Like goldsmitting, I always finish a new jewel the best way I can, even while doing that, I have better ideas. To me it is the best way to learn by completing every job the best way you can.

It is similar when playing in a band on stage, when things go wrong, don’t stop playing to start all over, but try to make it sound the best you can and improvisation is part of that.

I fine-tuned the way adding a Chinese White layer.
I will make an update video on the subject, but here is how I do. I think it is the easiest and fastest way to add the Chinese layer.
First of all I add a Damar Varnish layer, when it is dry I add one Chinese White layer using a soft paint brush. The ones kids use. When dry I may add another Chinese white layer the same way. That way when using a HB pencil, it is quite easy to draw on the White.
To make corrections I use that paint pencil too.
The Chinese White comes in a block and in a tube, you could think they are similar, but the block keeps being a bit sticky, and the tube isn’t.

arnaud

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
No q-tip, no brush

HI, I suppose you thought I was kidding when I said a bit of spit makes application easier.:)

But I was not,your application seems a bit thick to me and adding Damar, why not just add color to that and use normally.

Maybe I am touching a taboo I don't know about but if you use the block of white
a tiny bit of spit on your finger tip and then wet the block of white with this small amount really works.:thinking:

I touch my finger to my tongue then to the block and the mix just a bit to leave some on my finger (very little ) then just wipe your FINGER across the work and you get a THIN,STURDY,FIRM application.:clapping:

You should end up with a very thin coating that will stand up to a pencil. I admit the process will leave some on your finger tip but that comes off real fast with some water.

Using a Q-Tip just makes the whole process hard to control, and putting too much white on the work leads to chipping and flaking. This is NOT a new method its the one I was taught by my Father (now deceased). He was a water color painter and had all this stuff in his bag of tricks. :)

scott99 :tiphat:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, of course I tried my spit, and yes it works better than water. So your spit isn't that unique.
I also tried to mix the White with the Damar, but that doesn't work well, and I want a thin layer to draw on.
So far the way I describe it works perfect for me, I just finished cutting this design, removed background after I removed the layers Damar and White.
Only need to shade it, but that will be for tomorrow.

I will try your finger spit method too to see if that is even easier. thanks for the tip and I will let you know.

I also know that water color painting, and I did so too, use their lips after the bruch is cleaned to dry it and make a nice point on the marten, so when finished painting, you could end with different colors on your lips.
Don't do that with cheap synthetic pigments.

arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Drawing directly onto metal makes you engrave more. I cut it removed background and stippled it. Ready for a next fun part, shading it.
Yes I know, the design looks a bit like a few leaves on a bicycle

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Before any younger older newbie gets confused, I made a error by cutting this small one.
I removed a big part of the third scroll that had to show the growing origin. For me everyone would have permission pointing on that, even if I didn’t ask for critique.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Willem we do learn best from them.
However it wasn't meant this way, the third scroll could have a new starter from under that leaf.

Arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't need to jump in here, as you said- it is working perfect for you, so who needs new advice.
Nonetheless-
I apply Chinese white (actually just white guache) by finger, out of the tube.
But I tap it in the metal. This is the method I have found works to achieve a very thin, even covering of the Chinese white.
Maybe my fingers are inconsistent w a lifetime of scars, but I find when I smear it on I get inconsistent coverage... Thicker areas, and too thin areas.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The gestural aspect of designing on the material I appreciate.
I find that as I design I often have to go back to my first sketch to recapture the spirit of the idea I was working on.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried different way to add the Chinese White layer, also the block and spit.
Still adding a first layer of Damar Varnish and Chinese White out of a tube with a soft brush works best for me.

Here is the one I finished. yes it is a small one but an illegal one in Belgium. You may not own this one, even at home.
A kitchen knive is no problem, even a sword is allowed. But this one the knive blade can fold and be blocked, that is why it is on the list " forbidden weapons", no matter the size.
So selling engraved knives is almost as hard as selling engraved guns.
Probably I will start some stainless steel watches to engrave on, they ain't illegal yet.

arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Doc, they almost catched all criminals in Belgium, only one to go, me! :cool:
The one with the forbidden knives.
Please don't tell anyone.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors