more Photoshop scrollwork

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's another one which I traced from an actual engraving (outline only). I loaded the image in Adobe Illustrator CS2 and reduced its opacity by 50% so I could see my outline as I traced. The tracing was done on several different layers so that I would have more control over painting when sent over to Photoshop later. In other words, different groups of leaves were kept on seperate layers.

I traced the design with the pen tool in Illustrator, creating black-filled objects. I then copied/pasted into Photoshop and locked each layer to constrain the painting to the object only, and not its background. Using the airbrush tool I applied shading, etc. The design was a flat, lifeless object when it came into Photoshop.

I could easily spend a day tweaking this image more, but I have other things to do and it's ok for right now!

I hope I answered some of the questions...I don't have time to make a tutorial on this at the moment.

Cheers! / Sam

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow. I like to see you do a DVD like the one you did for lettering explaining various techniques like this. I'd be first in line. This same thing could be done in Corel couldn't it? What would be the drawback using Corel vs. Illustrator. Not that most of us would be able to compare to this you are a very talented artist.

Latest posts

Sponsors