• DSC00039.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 181

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
They say life is too short to shoot ugly guns. I think life is too short to truly appreciate the beauty of this gun.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice pic's.
I enjoyed seeing this beauty at Reno...
Thanks Ron for sharing your knowledge with all of us...
Enjoying your new book...
Best,
Jerry

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chuck, the best I can figure, I have about 2,500 hours in it. I don't keep my time in hours. I keep my time in weeks or months. I crammed about a years worth of engraving into eight months which means I got on it, stayed on it, and didn't look up much. I work ten to fourteen hours a day. Didn't go outside for weeks on end. Not a good way, but I can't seem to help myself. Not good for your physical fitness, and once I get finished with a project of this magnitude I usually have a little sick spell. Don't know why, unless it is because I use so much energy creating that is the result, and I am not as young as I used to be. I'm not sure it is worth it, but like I said, that is my way right or wrong..............Ron S

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, I know we don't really know each other, but I admire the work you have done, and the work of others here on the forum. The longest I've ever spent on something was six weeks, but at a mere 40 hours per week. The length of time and daily pace on your Winchester seems pretty tough. Without ever having to spend that kind of time, it is hard to relate. When I am nearing the end of a long project, I find myself getting ancy and anxious. I am curious if gun or knife engravers ever get that feeling. It may partially have to do with meeting a deadline in my case. Do you ever have deadlines, or is it done when it is done? I am seriously considering trying my hand on some knives but firearms seem like a huge undertaking. With the hours you put in on a project, is it still fun, or is it work?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve, at my age it was getting to be work, and so was the reason for the bad burnout problem I am just now recovering from. The fact is I wouldn't recommend doing it my way, but to answer some of your questions it has always been a raging fire with me, and a hot fire burns fast. I had been through burnout many times but they were short duration. The last one lasted for six years. I did virtually no engraving during that time. i longed for simpler things to do. I couldn't stand the thought. The only thing I can relate it to is that I did so much with and for so little for so long, it finally caught up with me and that fire went out.

Time is realtive to your experience and your potential capacity to achieve greater things. You know this within yourself, but the discipline it takes to stay on a job and maintain quality and uniqueness, is paramount to the mental adjustments you have to make along the way. You don't start out with this kind of discipline. It gets developed along with your other skills, so while being in pursuit of your passion, these things are relative to your commitment to it. That developes as well. Passion is the power that drives it and when that passion for the work dies it is a hard thing to get back. I have to say this though. I can give a lot of credit for my comeback to you guys and the loss of my thumb. I didn't want to quit by being forced out by this unfortunate accident and communicating with you guys has given me new energy. I don't know how long that will last but that is not important right now.

I found myself enjoying it again and surprised myself by being able to endure it, stick it out, and finish it.
so Steve, don't worry. You will grow into it as time goes by as long as there is motivating influences in your life. the funny thing is, I never lost my love for the art. I just lost my strength for a while. In the mean time stop, get physical and keep in shape. Take breaks and enjoy your surroundings and don't go at it like I did.......................Forward!.......Ron S

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, I see the wisdom in your words, thank you. I get the feeling there is a story or two in there. Steve

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mr. Smith:
Phenominal rifle!! I could spend years studying it. I am going into engraving at age 45 because my career as a machinist/tool maker was cut short due to a bad back injury. I understand where you are coming from, Mr. Smith, when I got on a job that was interesting I would loose all track of time, even when at work I would come home and think about the job. This is not at all good for you, I didn't develope a recreational plan. This is hard if you have a family. I would have a big burnout after a difficult job. But the killer came as a result of the back injury, I never had self doubts before the injury, but I sure have them now. My daughters told me that they liked it better now that I am disabled, because I was never home before, or when I was I was absorbed thinking about my work. I don't know if I'll ever be able to make a living with engraving, but my injury allowed me to pursue some more artistic pursuits like stained glass and small woodworking.
In closing, guys, let me say this:
Truly we stand on the shoulders of giants!!!!!!!
Thanks,
pappy

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy, call me Ron. I am your friend. I truely appreciate the respect, but I, like you, am just a regular guy fighting the forces against us. Don't give up!!!!....... and Forward!!!

Dwayne:...... He certainly has. All I can take credit for is the determination to endure the ride.

Ron S

Tdavis

Sir, that is a nice piece of work. I am in the process of getting myself updated and up to speed and viewing great works really helps.
Thanks TDavis

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Ron!!!! Did you have many problems picking up after six years? After two years down, I was amazed that I had forgotten stuff that I did every day for the last 25 years. When I go out in the shop now, I forget to check the mill head for tram, etc. Through adversity, you become stronger. I guess that helps. Forward!!
and God Bless!!!!

chuckmc

Ron. if you don't mind I have set my background to the rifle that you did. It is so beautiful that words can never discribe it. I had a rifle I did on the desk top with a power tool but no comparison to yours. Don't give up we need your sprit in this site. And your knowledge is worth so much. Works like yours inspire would be talent in the future. I am going to an engraving school in the Summer wish me luck. Chuck

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, some time I would like to meet you in person. I would probably burn you out with questions. It truly amazes me how you started with almost no training with few reference books or informatiom, learned art and layout. Then built world class stuff for the last howmany years, then advance even further. We need more book and instruction. I f you are ever come to PA or nearabouts, I wouldlike to talk to you.
Forward!!!!!
God Bless!!!
pappy

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy,.... Well, if it hadn't been for the accident, I don't think I would have had any problems as the tools become an extension of your arms and expression. Do you ever forget how to use your fingers? I think adversity was the motivating power to get back in there. I never fall back and shrink away from a challenge. I have always chased challenges, and without that I would have gotten bored with it. But I think that is the product of a creative mind. Often times we don't pursue our destiny, but rather get caught up in the expectations of the culture. I had the stubborness to resist that. I am somewhat of a maverick. I am not the kind of guy that could do the 9 to 5 thing and work for the other guy. I had to take hold of my own destiny, and the moment the old man placed that palm tool in my hand at 21 years of age, I knew that was what I would do with the rest of my life, no matter how hard or what mountains I had to climb.

Chuck, best of luck to you. Dig your heels in and go for it!!............Ron S

Oh yeah, and Pappy, it would be a pleasure to know you although I feel I already do, but anything you would like to ask me, I am here............Ron S

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron that is some very skillful and beautiful work. It's a honor to be able to view it.
Do you sell any molds of your work?
Thanks for posting.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I do sell plastic copies. If you will PM me your address, I will send you a flier that has what is available and catalogued. Thanks for your interest............Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors