Muzzleloader

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Don't see a whole lot of muzzleloader stuff posted so I thought some may be intersted. This is a Jacob Kuntz/John Rupp rifle I'm building. I dabbed the patch box with plasticene to cut the glare for the photo. Didn't dab the surface of the toe plate. Cheek piece inlay is sterling silver held in with iron pins. Patch box and toe are held in with brass pins and iron screws.

Attachments

• engravedtoe.JPG
    engravedtoe.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 283
  • epbreduced.jpg
    epbreduced.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 308
  • reduced e inlay.jpg
    reduced e inlay.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 312

James Wark

Hi Cody,
That is looking very nice. A few week ago a fellow brought in a Jacob Kuntz rifle into my shop. I was a little suspect on the woodwork so I did not buy it, maybe it was an earlier piece.
Jim

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Great work

Cody that sure is shaping up real nice. Show us some pictures of the final product when you get through.

David G

Cody, Wow! That is a work of art in the making. You've got to post pics when your done. I'm a diehard flinter.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
the engraving looks "right" for the period. Your carving looks good to from what I see.
good tight inletting. whoever gets it should be happy.
Kent

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words. This genre is quite different than what we usually see here but I knew there were a few flintlock fans that might find it interesting. I will post pics of the finished product but it will be awhile. We are going to be moving and that will upset the apple cart. Likely be next winter before I will be able to get back to it so, stay tuned.
Andrew, the patch box is one that was used quite alot by both Kuntz and Rupp. The biggest change I made from the original is that I added the three piercings to each side plate. The original had solid side plates.

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!! Cody, that is some top class work on that flinter. Great to see. You are right, there are a few of us that would like to see some more work on muzzle loaders on this forum. Please show us more.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work Cody, Is the patchbox a two piece or four? Sideplates pinned? I like the style of engraving you've used on it. I'm working on finishing a VA. Shenandoah Valley rifle, before building up a Lehigh style with original European mounts (similar to a gun in Shumway's Colonial Arms book), then on to a Vincent rifle. I guess I've got my work cut out. Won't tell the timeframe of completion! lol
Do you go to the CLA show in Ky? Are you a member?
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, the patch box is a four piece and the side plates are pinned with brass pins. The originals were pinned also however, Kuntz used domed head pins, I chose to go with countersunk pins filed flush. I'm njot a member of CLA nor have I been to any of the shows. I did get to Dixons gun makers fair last summer and plan to go again next year. I find that, for me, nailing down the "style" is a challenge. I typically end up with something like this practice plate patch box idea that is cold and lacks the warm folksy nature found on the old guns. I consider this type of stuff something of a "no mans land" of engraveing. Too sophisticated for a good longrifle and too cheezy for something newer. I quite enjoy cutting it but have yet to find a practical use for it.

Attachments

• patchbox1.jpg
    patchbox1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 57

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Christiaan, I don't have alot of pictures of my stuff to show but here's a few locks. Some of these have been posted here before

Attachments

• fowlerlock1.JPG
    fowlerlock1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 70
  • mclock.jpg
    mclock.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 64
  • galock.jpg
    galock.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 67

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sweet work Cody! I've got a 40 cal. Lancaster that I built several years ago, a local guy here use to build them, he'd order his parts from all over the place, he helped me put a kit together, had the stock measured and fit for me, I took probable about a 1/4" of wood off all around and had to cut out for my lock, trigger, and breach, the barrel bed was already cut in. Picked out the hardware and barrel that I liked and a year later I was shooting it. I love it and want to engrave it at some point, Just waiting for my skills to improve as an engraver. I didn't put a patch box in mine, That's one thing I want to do when I engrave it. Thanks for posting the pictures of your work, keep it up! Looks great. Dwayne

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that patch box is outstanding also. The woodwork also looks great. Feel free to post more pictures:D

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job Cody, ain't those decorated flinters wonderful?? They shoot better too!! First class period work Cody.
Ron S

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice locks Cody, do you mind me asking if they are castings or scratch built?

Nothing to do with engraving, just as a matter of interest for my flinter friends out there.
Around 1973 I borrowed a Wogdon & Barton dueller to copy, here's the set trigger I made.
Photo 1 'Cocked', 2 'Uncocked', 3 'Cocked', and 4 'Manually fired'. The screw to the left of photo 1 is for fine trigger adjustment.
It was scratch built as was the gun.

Phil

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would be interesting to see how many engravers/members here started out with muzzleloaders.

I DID..........wanted to engrave the inlays on my flintlocks. Go figure

Latest posts

Sponsors