My first coin,80% complete

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Back to the basics
When I gave my engraving tools to the Cody Fire Arms Museum I believed that never again would the passion for engraving return to me. I was worn out. My hands trembled and I had reached the point where my only thought was “To hell with it, that’s good enough.â€￾ It was time for my retirement, with the leisure to write my book, enjoy my life’s companion Franca and the warm tropical sun, enjoy my very few friends company and live out the golden years catching big fish while resting on my accomplishments. In other words a has-been. The book is now published and I have caught all the big fish required for self satisfaction. So what is left to occupy time? Then, I discovered over the internet that there is an interest in coin carving. It occurred to me that it was something that would occupy some of my leisure time and did not require the hours of dedication that gun engraving required; I decided to give it a try. Being with out engraving block, chisles, hammer, punches and burin were solved with a river rock and a sand filled plastic bag for it to rest on. A hardened bolt and a piece of scrap wood became my hammer. A broken fish hook was turned into a burin along with a broken pair of fishing scissors and anything I could scrounge out of my garage. From these objects I made a few simple tools. In the money jar there was a silver coin dedicated to the right to vote, and a much better piece of sculpting work than I am capable of. After thinking it over a bit. I stuck the coin to my granite engravers block with auto body epoxy. While the epoxy set for a few days I considered the project. I found a couple of sharpening stones and set to work. When the coin was bonded to the rock I took the untested tools and began. The coin had a dozen men casting ballots into a paddle locked ironbound box. With a 1/8th inch flat graver I obliterated the raised figures. Then began engraving and sculpting the coin. The weight of the stone was fine and vibration minimal, the rock I chose has a flat base and a rounded top which set firmly on my sand bag. However my next engraving stone will be as round as possible and 10#inches in diameter so that it can be tilted with ease, I have been working about 18 hours and can see where it will be possible to do a satisfactory job. The subject is a virginal (you can never tell.)Teenage girl I am hoping to end up with a good looking hooker at worst. The differences between a crone, matron, mistress, and a virgin are matters of a single tap with a punch or a cut with a burin as the following pix show

Attachments

• rock solid 014 first coin.jpg
    rock solid 014 first coin.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 221
  • rock solid 005.JPG
    rock solid 005.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 199

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Wow!

Hi Joseph,

That is great. Can you tell me what kind of rock and what brand of fish hooks you are using? I think I need to upgrade my tools.

Joe Paonessa

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph,

i am speechless
are the round dots on the border made by you... if so would you share with me how that was done
thank you for this wonderful piece

Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not so bad at all for a rock and a fishhook and a bag of sand. our friend joseph proves that the spirit will always overcome adversity. the will always finds a way.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the more i look at your coin, joseph, it commands my attention. this to me is such a riviting piece of work ! not the least bit elegant, not at all fancy, but just really begs to be looked at ! thanks for showing this.

Ed Davet

Joseph,
I have your book (available at http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Man-Memoir-artist/dp/059545156X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200393763&sr=8-1 ) and have enjoyed reading it.
I have some old burins and a little thermoloc I would love to send if you thought they would make it through the mail to your paradise. Perhaps then I wouldn't have to wait as long to see more of your fabulous talent posted here.
Ed

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph,
You still have it....
The spirit, talent and a story to tell....
Thanks, you have brightened my day.
Stephen

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Many thanks for all your comments.Brian, it required many more small tools as the work progressed.I found that a power drill toolbit holder and some of the bits make excelent chasing punches even though they are magnatized and would be impractical on steel.See my post Forgotten Tools

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, that just goes to show you what an indomitable and basic, unassuming spirit can do. I have always thought if you can give a man a few simple tools, and he can create with them, you have real intelligence and a basis for creativity............ And then you have acedemia. A lot of knowledge in the head and know not how to use it. Some supposedly "smart" people (experts) can't find their way out of the bath room, but this proves survival requires intelligence and inginuity revolving around simple, solid, principals. Many have lost this somewhere along the way I think, or it is so far back in our past it seems unecessary, but it is still essential for the evolution of mankind...............and the inginuity of this group never ceases to amaze me!....We have a very inspiring group and a good story to boot!
Excellent Joseph!......... Will you be diong more?........Ron S

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing work Joseph. To me it illustrates what I already know and has been discussed continuously. The artist matters FAR more than the tools used to accomplish the work. Congratulations on finding pleasure in getting back to engraving.

I will be anxiously waiting to see the finished coin.

Thanks,
Peter

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph
Excellent and impressive, a true artist. Keep cutting and showing your work. Thanks Dave

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The differences between a crone, matron, mistress, and a virgin are matters of a single tap with a punch or a cut with a burin as the following pix show

Oh yes, thats so true. I have a single action that many saw at the Engrave-In that I call the Pig Lady gun cause I got the nose a little wrong, otherwise she would be cute as a spiced apple.

great work Joseph, glad to see you back in the saddle.

Shamey

Joseph,
Thank you so much for the pictures. Please post the finished coin. I will be fishing in Cody area for the seventh year in Sept.so I have a good idea where you got the rocks. Did you get those rocks from the North Fork? If so, I will be sure to bring a couple of them home with me. Send me your address and I will send you some nickels to carve on.
I will be looking forward to seeing more of your carvings if you would be so kind.
Your friend,
Shamey

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Well done Joseph, my friend. May your "come-back" works be more appreciated that your "glory-day-works". Be Blessed!!
Christiaan

Latest posts

Sponsors