My First Desert Eagle

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Desert Eagle right.jpg Desert Eagle fc top.jpg Desert Eagle left.jpg

Several of you asked me to post my engraving of this Desert eagle, so here it is. Hope you enjoy it. I found that the best tool to cut it with was X-7 HSS, with a 50 degree face, 20-5 degree heel and tips dubbed at 15 degrees. The slide was the hardest to cut, as tips broke left and right, sometimes within 20 seconds! The barrel was the nicest to cut, with almost no tool breakage. The gun had a Robar NP3 finish on it, which I simply cut through. It cut very well. After engraving, I painted the scrollwork with two colors of KG Systems GunKote epoxy, which is a bake-on product. The grips were laser engraved (horrors!!!) by a friend of mine in Riverside, Ca. who runs CJohnson Laser, as I don't do woodworking, and the customer wanted his grips upgraded too.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
simply beautiful to the max. i applaud your bravery as well as your skill !

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will admit to having my heart in my throat for a goodly period of time while I was settings things up and while engraving it, but now my only memories are that it came out well, and I would do it again! (I'll just charge more next time!!!)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan,

Who is Brian? As to the GunKote, it is an epoxy paint that is baked on and according to their instructions has to be ground or sandblasted off after baking if you want to remove it. Rust-oleum is just paint. I am not sure what you are asking about background removal, but it was uneventful. In another tread I told everyone what you have to go through to engrave a DE.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Ed
Many apologies, but I went off the name at the initial post's bottom. Again, my fault.
We’ve used gunkote extensively on ARs and other weapons. It is very durable, and I thought of it as an option but never tried it. I didn't know if it created any unique issues for you w/ the engraving prior to baking.

You’ve also given me the push to try some cerekote for background darkening.

Dan

Latest posts

Sponsors