My first post.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. for a"first shot", this looks very good. you sought no critique, so none given. your work will surely improve with practice. most that try bulino aren't nearly this good imho.

63wag

welcome to the forum. for a"first shot", this looks very good. you sought no critique, so none given. your work will surely improve with practice. most that try bulino aren't nearly this good imho.
Thank you! I am always open for critique! I guess i should have asked. Truly want to get better and with out critiquing that will be much more difficult!

Wiseman501

That looks awesome. I am new to engraving so I have no real way to know what could be critiqued about it. I'm still working on scrollwork and inlay. Lol.

63wag

That looks awesome. I am new to engraving so I have no real way to know what could be critiqued about it. I'm still working on scrollwork and inlay. Lol.
Me too i haven't tried any inlay yet and my scroll work needs work. Haha. But I am having fun! Just started in February so beyond green is how you could describe me!

Wiseman501

Me too i haven't tried any inlay yet and my scroll work needs work. Haha. But I am having fun! Just started in February so beyond green is how you could describe me!

Coming from being a jeweler for 20+ years, some of the skills cross over, so I am not finding it particularly difficult to grasp inlay so far, but the level of graver control necessary to make attractive scrolls and THEN inlay and clean up consistently without a catastrophic slip or something goes far beyond what is needed for my everyday stone setting. I need to get more tens of hours with my new pneumatic setup so it's like part of my hand.

I am not finding a great deal of video out there for bulino techniques... What I have seen are teasers and samples, and it looks like a very light touch for the most part, and then you black the details, right? It looks kind of like pencil art, but using scratches and nicks instead of strokes and pokes. lol. Should I be putting down the pneumatic and going with mostly hand push for bulino work?

Wiseman501

Follow up question:

For shading in bulino style, do you press harder to make larger divots in the dark areas, and more gently in the light areas, or do you go for the same pressure, but more numerous divots in the darker areas?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like shading is basically done with pointillism (Painting term), but with a graver point...?

What are the preferred gravers?

Why am I asking so many questions!? lol

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Follow up question:

For shading in bulino style, do you press harder to make larger divots in the dark areas, and more gently in the light areas, or do you go for the same pressure, but more numerous divots in the darker areas?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like shading is basically done with pointillism (Painting term), but with a graver point...?

What are the preferred gravers?

Why am I asking so many questions!? lol
Jump ahead to about 4:20 seconds Thierry has a ton of videos,

monk

Staff member
Thank you! I am always open for critique! I guess i should have asked. Truly want to get better and with out critiquing that will be much more difficult!
that would be much better, i think, if a bit of contrasting detail was added to the rear of the
critter. that would be easy to just add a bit.

monk

Staff member
Coming from being a jeweler for 20+ years, some of the skills cross over, so I am not finding it particularly difficult to grasp inlay so far, but the level of graver control necessary to make attractive scrolls and THEN inlay and clean up consistently without a catastrophic slip or something goes far beyond what is needed for my everyday stone setting. I need to get more tens of hours with my new pneumatic setup so it's like part of my hand.
ve
I am not finding a great deal of video out there for bulino techniques... What I have seen are teasers and samples, and it looks like a very light touch for the most part, and then you black the details, right? It looks kind of like pencil art, but using scratches and nicks instead of strokes and pokes. lol. Should I be putting down the pneumatic and going with mostly hand push for bulino work?
i've never tried bulino, as such. if i were to give it a try, i'd surely never use air power.

Wiseman501

BTW 63wag... Sorry for semi-hijacking your post. That was a great piece of work you shared, especially for a first go. I hope my incessant questions aren't annoying anyone on the forums yet. I just get aggressive when trying to consume knowledge.

Latest posts

Sponsors