My last work on BUCK 112 knife!

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
Eugene,
It was hard to cut it, I chose my tools harder than the blade and also the angle of cutting is so important.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ali: i've done a lot of custom blades in the annealed state. they were even miserable to work in the "soft" condition. what gravers and geometry do you use for this work ? i'm sure many of us would like to know that.

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
I use a pneumatic hand piece that I have made it myself.
My graver is made of high speed steel, Standard No 1.3202, Germany. When I'm performing the hardening operation, It reach to 65 or more HRC. I divide the tip surface of section of graver to three 120 degree angle and it's like a pyramid.(Like in the photo)

the angle degree of tip depends on the hardness of the metal. For example if it's a hard metal, I reduce the angle degree and the height of the pyramid will be less.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thank you for the information. an interesting geometry to work with. i assume you hold this at a very high angle going into your blades. maybe some folks would give this a try. one can never have too many gravers. many of mine i grind for just i kind of cut i want to achieve. i have 5 or 6 i use just for hobo nickels. i have 2 hobos on my bench unfinished, waiting for the day i regain better control of my hand.

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
I also use different gravers for different metals but I use that graver more!
We have a Proverb in Isfahan city which is the most artistic city of Iran, that most of engravers live in. when they are satisfied with a graver they put it in their pocket even while sleeping!

oakleave

nice work, what did you do with the rivets? Did you engrave them too?
Can you please post a close up of the rivet head.
Thanks
Bernie

Sponsors