My latest work in Silver

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are some photos of my most recent work. Sometimes we (engravers) don't always get to do exactly what we want to do. This project is a case in point!
This has got to be some of the most boring work from the engraver's perspective. I felt somewhat like a human milling machine! Having said it was boring definitely doesn't mean that it was easy to do; just not to my (scroll minded) liking. I did this all intaglio; the only parts soldered on were the attachments on the back. I used a variety of gravers to do the initial cutting but most of the initial outlining work was done with a 90 and/or 120. I then went over the outline of the letters again with an onglette, leaning out away from the letters and into the background to be removed. Once that was done I lowered the background using flats of various sizes. The background was removed in steps (area by area) as I worked thru the project. The background matting was done with a couple of different techniques: 1. With a matting punch in the heavily textured areas and; 2. In the areas around the word URBAN, I used a dental air drill (ginning pretty fast!!) with a round tipped burr to give a very rough, convoluted texture. I then flattened this with a smooth faced round punch. Finally, I used a worn texture punch to further darken this area of the buckle. After all the work was done I shaped the buckle on a high-tech hand shaped wood 2x4 die and hobb.

Hope you enjoy,

Weldon

Attachments

• Urban-1.jpg
    Urban-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Urban-2.jpg
    Urban-2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Urban-3.jpg
    Urban-3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Urban-4.jpg
    Urban-4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Urban-5.jpg
    Urban-5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Urban-7.jpg
    Urban-7.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 256

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Weldon! Thanks for the pictures "in progress." I think it is very helpful to see projects done in stages. Thanks for sharing. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not only a nice, unique piece, but a step-by-step for folks that may be curious. you need to get your fee + a new driveway for this !

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool series of pictures. The end result is excellent. How big is it if I may ask.

Thanks,
Peter

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
Thanks for the photos. As always great stuff.

Be careful out there. Be safe.

Sandy

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
Looks great.Thanks for taking the time with the step by step pictures. It's extremely helpful for beginners like me to understand the process.

Jeff

Bill Tokyo

Great Buckle, Great Instruction

Many thanks for showing us how you did this. Not only am I grateful for the step by step photos, but I'm really impressed with how good this is.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Weldon. I like the way you used different background textures it really but nice depth variations to the project.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all,

Peter: the buckle is about 2 3/4 x3 1/2 & made from 9 gauge silver.
Stephen: I used fingerprint ink to darken the background

Weldon

jbmartin

Very nice buckle!
What kind of harware is on the back?
I'm also curious if you had it attached before or after the engraving...
BTW, have you ever run into Clayton Watts on the job? He is on SAFD, not sure which house, I'm sure there are several.
Again, very nice!!!!!

JB

JTC

Question

Weldon,
I'm curious as to why you chose to make this buckle "intaglio" instead of constructing it out of several pieces.
That much background removal would wear me out.

The finished piece is great and I love the lettering.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JBMartin: On the back I attached a simple loop (shaped like a stretched out U with real short legs) to hold the belt. This was made of made of 14 gauge silver & shaped by bending in a vise & "encouraged into the final 90 degree with a rawhide mallet. The hook for the belt was sawn from the 9 gauge stock the buckle was cut from, then shaped and soldered on.
As for the other question: I know of a couple of Watts in our department but do not know either one personally. Our department has 50 stations and right at 1500 personnel. It is hard to know everyone!

JTC: I found myself asking the same question! Seriously, I used it as an exercise to sharpen my skills & learn a little. Also, I just wondered if I could do it that way (I knew I could add material on)!!
Keep in mind that there is no "sanity" requirement to being an engraver!

Weldon