My next engraved knife

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello forum!

Here's my next scratching. Knife is made by dad especially for 'showing off' engraving. Blade is D2 tool steel, handle is from some Russian stainless, which to our surprise was engrave able (and we have it about 1 sq meter, enough for hundred or so knives...).

With every next engraving I try to push my limits and learn as much as possible. I think you can see it from my mistakes on this knife that there's still much to go.

As always, please let me know what you think of design and execution, and most importantly, what can be improved.

For nitpickers - here's as big photo as it gets, with zoom and everything.

Attachments

• _MG_4638 full.jpg
    _MG_4638 full.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 238
  • _MG_4637 left.jpg
    _MG_4637 left.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 170
  • _MG_4633 center.jpg
    _MG_4633 center.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 135
  • _MG_4634 right.jpg
    _MG_4634 right.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 200

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Hi vilts,
This knife is "A THING OF BEAUTY" Fantastic work. Thank You for posting the pictures, my goal is to someday be this creative.

JT

M

mcrapo

Vilts - That is a beautiful job you did on the knife. I wish I had a tenth of your talent. Maybe some day I can be that good.

Mike

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:eek:

Sorry, you've gone beyond the level where I can add any criticism. Lovely design, great flow, excellent execution.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Nice lookin Knife Vilts,I like the desgin and the execution is very nice as well! I wished my engraving was improveing as fast as yours.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful knife, Viljo! Its very impressive how far and how fast your work has come since you started a few short months ago. Thank you for sharing your work.

jmcutting

Your work is amazing Vilts! Great job can't wait to see what you do next!
-justin

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
nice design, and excellant shading. The only thing I see that I would have done different was I would have worked the design to intergrate the exposed circle of the pin into the scroll design itself.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys for your encouraging words!

Sometimes it seems that you're too kind, close one eye and back up about a meter or so, so that the flaws don't show up. But maybe the saying is true, that artists worst critic is he himself. Not that I'm an artist or anything...

Tim, indeed it takes a while. It takes actually many whiles... But then again, I've nowhere to hurry and can take all the time I need. Life is meant to be enjoyed, and I take it seriously :)

Scott, what you say is very true. The pin doesn't look that good there at all. But (here's the excuse I don't like to make) it wasn't meant to be that way and during scanning the knife to get its shape for design it didn't show up at all. It seems that this was the only pin that stayed that way - total of 6 pins on both sides together and that one is seen. Another lesson hopefully learned.

Thank you!

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Assume that sunlight is flowing across your design.You decide which direction. Then give depth to the shadowed side.Hope this makes sense.Think of your design as a living three dimensional object.

Latest posts

Sponsors