My Nikon SMZ1

1Poet

I am completely new to metal engraving and so, may ask very ignorant questions. I followed the advise found here on EC and bought one of the "acceptable" stereo microscopes, a Nikon SMZ1 with a 0.4 objective and, I believe 10x eyepieces. However, the field of view is tiny! Looking through the eyepieces, the view appears about the size of a dime, in the distance. A US penny fills the entire field of view, about 2-3" away. What am I doing wrong? Please, someone help me get this set up or at least get me started on the right path!

Last edited:

Doctorslava

You can measure the diameter of your eyepieces and buy newer ones with wide field of view. I believe it is a 30mm diameter. Buying original ones may be pricey. As a beginner I ended up buying cheap Chinese crap from ebay for about $30. Way better than old ones.

1Poet

I think I may have found the problem. There are no markings on the eyepieces. Therefore, I believe they are the wrong lens for this scope! I have looked all over the net and plan on ordering two Amscope WF 10X lens for 30 mm openings, which seems to be the size the SMZ1 needs. I think this will solve my problem. If anyone has a better feel for the correct size, please sound off. Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Latest posts

Sponsors