Critique Request My very first engraving and design.

DiamondCactus

This is the very first time to draw anything like this and my very first engraving, I just got a few hand tools from my dad, and now I have another addiction. I know nothing but want to learn, I wanted to order all the books but my wife told me to wait until after Christmas.

After seeing all your works I am a little embarrassed to even put this up here, but I want to see my progress.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
It's a good start! My first piece was a silver dog tag shape, with my wife's first initial in Old English. Hard to believe it was in 1988! The best thing you can do now, is plan to take a course from a quality engraver. GRS courses are fabulous, but with the travel etc., can become pricey. Christian DeCamillas and a few others are offering on-line courses, no travel and tailored to meet your needs. The trick is to get some instruction before you acquire too many bad habits.
As an alternative, get Sam Alfano's DVD on sharpening...it will change your life and save your fingers. Augment that with as many books and DVD's as you can afford. There is a list of books elswhere in this forum. Many recommend Meeks "The Art of Engraving", but I found it confusing until I has a basis of what I needed to do. You can spend a fortune, or proceed carefully and slowly, but it ALL starts with proper sharpening.
Good luck and keep cutting!
p.s. I understand about your feelings posting here. There are some world class engravers here, and some fairly new ones that are rapidly becoming world class. If you want to, work hard, you can go as far as you wish!

DiamondCactus

Thanks,

I am really looking for some lesson around here but there are really none to be found. So I will have to save up and go take a good class some where, or see if I can find some one in the area that will teach me a thing or two. In the mean time I will have to buy some DVD's.

Cloudy, I love it. The only problem is I can not sleep at night, I have so many ideas running through my head. Some stuff I have never seen.

Andrew Biggs

Don't ever be embarrassed about showing your work/progress or asking questions. We all started at the same place by picking up a graver and having a go at it. And all of our results were exactley the same...........pretty bad!!!!

However your progress will be conditional on a few things. Your willingness to learn, artistic ability and observation skills. You also must be willing to invest some money to buy some decent tools and resource material. Most of all, way beyond anything else, you have to devote the time and energy to practice. An hour a week won't get you anywhere.................and absolutely none of it is easy.

Having said that, it is a most enjoyable and consuming art form that can be learned and the most important part is to enjoy the process because it is both incredibly frustrating and rewarding at the same time. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors