NAA mini revolver

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought one of those little NAA mini revolvers. I had seen a few that guys like Scott P and Jim Small had engraved and I thought they were cute so I bought one with the intent of putting new grips on it and engraving it.

The problem is I can't get the screw out of it. I ground as driver to fit and no amount of force is going to budge that screw.

If you have engraved one of these please tell me how you got the screw out. I want to refinish tit to get rid of that sand blasted finish in the top and bottom. To do that I need it apart.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, unless you like really intense cussing sessions, do not take this apart. Treat it like a folding knife and fill in the crevices and engrave it assembled.

the only reason I would take one apart is sculpting the hammer or trigger.

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, dido what scott said, I engraved one,and made ivory grips. cuts nice .and I have had one apart ,took me a whole day to get it back together properly.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well........I guess that answers that question.

Thanks for the heads up guys. If it is that much of a headache I will just make the new grips and engrave the blasted surface as is.

This is a project for my wife so it isn't like the customer won't understand.:)

Ray

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK,
I did one of these about 15 years ago and it was harder than all get out! Have they changed?
To be honest now, I have done both the NAA and I think it was Freedom Arms and can't remember which was worse. They were so darn cute but were such a bugger to cut.

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Rex, mine was a old one but I did used carbide maybe that was the trick. I,m going to do another one, I di a 22lr next will be a 22mag that I have. they are cute

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe I had a bad one or something. Even with carbide was a pain. Let me know when you do the other one and how it cuts.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
No Rex, you're right. The Feedom Arms one I cut was a real bear even with carbide.
I finally went to a 60 degree face and a slightly rounded bottom on a square carbide graver.
Never again, life's too short for those cute little beggers!

Best, John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,
I did about the same thing. I think I even went to 70 or so. I think those things MAKE life shorter.

LahtiM39

Ray,
If I am not mistaken the sideplate screw is a left hand thread. As previously mentioned they are a PIA to reassemble if taken down and are an even bigger PIA to cut. Good luck!
Tom

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,
I think the one John and I did was the Freedom Arms which looked like the NAA.
Give us a report on how hard this one is.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know, You guys kinda got me gun shy now.

I may try it still. I mean as cheap as they are if I screw it up I can always get Holly another one.

I had originally bought this gun as a novelty for myself but Holly ended up with it. It happened to arrive on our 16th anniversary.

The UPS guy handed me the box and I opened it pulled out the gun and Holly goes," Oh that is so cute, is that for me????????" What could I do?:eek:

At least I have a wife who likes guns and likes to shoot. :)

Ray

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah Ray, count your blessings. I have one that likes to shoot too. She can keep up with the guys with a shotgun. Does pretty well with a pistol too.

North American Arms? Like John and Rex said. Life is too short and doing fine line stuff is going to drive you crazy. If you do. do something simple and quick. I did a part of one one time and gave up. It got stolen, but it is really a shame that they don't make them so you can embellish them. I couldn't get the screw out either and gave up on that too.

Good luck buddy,

Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ray, another cute little gun that was suprisingly nice to cut is the little Bond deringer.
Some nice areas to engrave on these.
They come in some serious calibers too.
With mild cowboy action loads they should be acceptable recoil wise.
And one would tuck away easily in Holly's purse.
Just a thought, John B.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

It looks like the FA/NAA mini revolver is one for the Cafe Gun List...engravable and not engraveable sticky on the tutorial page. Looks like the verdict is "NOT ENGRAVABLE."

Roger

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Ray, I have 3 or 4 of the NAA revolvers, If you want to disassemble it and work it over that is fine. The company will clean and reassemble it for a reasonable price. Give them a call. Most of my work is general repair gunsmith work, and I work on all kinds of guns but when it comes to that little darlen, I send them back to the company.

By the way, what ever happened with that double rifle project with the false side plate problem?

Good Luck

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
please forgive the engraving, I did it after six months with my tools and new better to touch graver to gun ,but I did it anyway. I'm posting to show that they are able to be engraved and with Rays talent it will be stunning

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engraved one...or rather tried to....in the late '80's and it was extremely tough. I spent more time sharpening than cutting and swore I would never touch another one. But, with a little more knowledge and maturity(?) now, maybe I'll give one a try now. Mine shot great and carried very well, but I had to shoot a 9' alligator 17 times from the back of a pickup in the head to kill it. Big stuff needs big guns!!

Latest posts

Sponsors