Critique Request necklace

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, here are my beginning stone setting efforts. This is my second attempt learning from the Don Glaser dvd, and these are stones 2, 3, 4, 5 out of my bag of 10. I need to hurry and get some more ordered. It started out as practice on a scrap peice of silver, then I ended up with 4 in a row, and decided not to waste it too much, so I cut is out and made a necklace out of it. I have alot of new found respect for stone setters, but this doesn't look too shabby from a few feet away. I think the beads all ended up too far onto the stones, and my bright cuts and clean up around the beads and stones are sure going to need plenty of practice. Thanks all of you for the good advice on my first attempt yesterday. The second pic is of the back, and as you can see I used a peice of silver from a botched braclett. I probably shouldn't even post until I get about a 100 set, but I figgured someone might enjoy my progress. Don't hold back, Seth

Attachments

• Stone setting 2,3,4,5 003.jpg
    Stone setting 2,3,4,5 003.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Stone setting 2,3,4,5 010.jpg
    Stone setting 2,3,4,5 010.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 147

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seth, it looks pretty good. We should all be more critical of our work than our customers are.
Kevin P.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seth, the first pendant shown looks really good. The stones and the bright cut really set each other off well. Well done and thanks for showing us what can be done to rescue a 'botched bracelet'.:thumbs up:

Mr T

New Be Mr T here

As a setter the bright cut looks wide to me but apart from that you can't see it for the decoration. Not bad for a first time set, by the way how long did each stone take to do if you can define it in seconds or hours?

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good Seth.
Not sure what setting method you use the picture is a little fuzy. You may want to try trimming the metal around the stones before you set the stones. It makes it easier save the graver tips less risk of chipping the stone and looks nice and tidy when done. If you need more info on how it's done let me know.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr. T, It took a couple of hours of fussing around for me to get the holes right, and those stones in and cut around. A learning process for me all the way. Another hour of making and engraving the necklace part. The necklace portion took very little time except for the engraving. I am guessing that someone that has set thousands of stones could whip out something like this in no time and make it look very nice.

Mike Cirelli, I would love to know how you remove part of the metal around the stone before you put it in. Sounds like a great idea, and I would love to try it.

I would also like to know what product is used to polish the item after the stones are set. In the dvd it looked like he used a small buffing wheel on a fordom with some sort of compound, but I have no idea what it would be. Thanks, Seth