Need a custom carved moonstone

Malebolgia

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this but I thought there might be someone in this group that could help me out. I have been trying to replicate Lili's ring from "Legend" for many years as a surprise for my wife and I have been stuck on getting the 8-10mm moonstone with a face carved in it. All of the man in the moon carved stones readily available are in a "Buddha" style rather than what I think better fits the movie version.

I was hoping someone here is able to take on this commission or might know some who can. I have attached a screen grab of the ring as well as some buttons that I think are close to what the face should look like. Please let me know of any pointers that might help me acquire my goal.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is/was a gentleman who posted photos of some very nice hand-carved cameos here on the Cafe a few years ago. Anybody else remember? Was it the dentist, whose name escapes me at the moment?

and it seems your pics didn't get posted...

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mitch the name of the dentist is Doc Mark Sedlak from here in Hampton Virginia not heard from him on the Cafe for some time. J.J.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch the name of the dentist is Doc Mark Sedlak from here in Hampton Virginia not heard from him on the Cafe for some time. J.J.
Yes, that's him, thanks J.J. Am I thinking of the right guy doing the cameos?

Malebolgia

Thanks for the pointers, I don't have any social media accounts so I don't have access to Instagram but will see what I can do. Will ping Doc Mark to see if he is still around.

Not sure what happened to the pictures the first time but I have tried to attach them again here.

Attachments

• Lilis_ring_07.jpg
    Lilis_ring_07.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 12mmBoneFace-1.jpg
    12mmBoneFace-1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 38

LahtiM39

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this but I thought there might be someone in this group that could help me out. I have been trying to replicate Lili's ring from "Legend" for many years as a surprise for my wife and I have been stuck on getting the 8-10mm moonstone with a face carved in it. All of the man in the moon carved stones readily available are in a "Buddha" style rather than what I think better fits the movie version.

I was hoping someone here is able to take on this commission or might know some who can. I have attached a screen grab of the ring as well as some buttons that I think are close to what the face should look like. Please let me know of any pointers that might help me acquire my goal.
Try Tim Roark Imports in Atlanta. I believe he has some of what you are looking for.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Doc Mark is selling his graver lube cups in the classified section of this forum should be some contact info there.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member

A brief word of unsolicited, but important advice. Before you shop the design around for someone else to make. I strongly suggest you do some research to learn if you can get one from the original maker, who is the Copyright owner of the intellectual property in the ring. You don't want yourself or anyone else to unintentionally end up in hot water over a romantic gift .

Malebolgia

I have sent a contact to Doc and Tim so hopefully one of them can help me out.

I have done a ton of research on this ring in the last 20 years and there is very little to find let alone tracking down the prop house that did the movie ring. Unfortunately the movie was made long before replica props became a common thing, every piece of jewelry from Lord Of The Rings was everywhere immediately following those movies...lol

I can appreciate the copyright risk for the whole ring and that is an issue I will address with the jeweler but fortunately a face carved into a moonstone is common enough and long predates the movie that it would not be covered so for this focused request there is no risk.