Need Die Sinker's Chisel .125"?

SDH

I guess Brownells isn't much catering to engraver's any longer? To Many $ in AR's?
I'm in need of an 1/8" Die sinker's Chisel for my Metal Prep class. Please recommend a source likely to have in stock?
Many thanks,
Steven Dodd Hughes

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
try the bay or maybe gesswein. all else failing, you may find handles that will allow gravers to function in that capacity or just make yer own.

Reactions: SDH

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve maybe Walter the stone sculptor could find the right chisels for you Steve. J.J.

Aventuraal

After checking all the usual suppliers, and finding no one has them anymore (pity!), you might look at these on EBay. Item # 203095064857. They seem close, but they aren't the old chisels one used to be able to get.

SDH

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.
Attached in a pic of a Cape Chisel I've had for decades and a Die Sinker's Chisel I bought at Brownells who knows how many years ago. I was naively hoping to simply purchase another?? (I bought the $9 batch from ebay seller, hardy go wrong with that ante. Still looking fo the real deal.)
Or the maybe some engraver out there had an little used specimen in the "Useless Chisel Drawer" that they might be willing to part with.
I use these to reshape double shotgun actions where a bunch of metal comes off with the fewest hammer strokes. That is the closest I ever come to artful engraving at my workbench.
Cape Chisel, Die sinkers, calipers for scale.
Metal Chisels-.jpg

Last edited:

707chrisa

9$ sounds ok. If I were to make one it would coast 15$ and the coast of the steel + 10% and shipping . So ya at 9$ if the steel is good you can all ways regrind it .

BCan

Sorry, should have mentioned the business name: CD Tooling, and here's a phone number: 1-716-791-6197.

707chrisa

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies.
Attached in a pic of a Cape Chisel I've had for decades and a Die Sinker's Chisel I bought at Brownells who knows how many years ago. I was naively hoping to simply purchase another?? (I bought the $9 batch from ebay seller, hardy go wrong with that ante. Still looking fo the real deal.)
Or the maybe some engraver out there had an little used specimen in the "Useless Chisel Drawer" that they might be willing to part with.
I use these to reshape double shotgun actions where a bunch of metal comes off with the fewest hammer strokes. That is the closest I ever come to artful engraving at my workbench.
Cape Chisel, Die sinkers, calipers for scale.
View attachment 48251
Made in USA O-1 Oil Hardening Drill Rod 10mm | B1338442 - GLOBALindustrial.com O1 is easy to work with you get 36 inches to work with the grind is simple. The smith I worked under called this type of chisel a "dozer" ya not much of a name . I googled it don't think it is the real name but we made chisels that looked just like what you have. Keep the bottom surface flat no heel . The face angle you will have to play with a little just copy to one you have . I have made these out of valve stems , colie springs and old planner blades ect. In the long run just buy the O1 and fallow the heat treat direction.

silvermon

I guess Brownells isn't much catering to engraver's any longer? To Many $ in AR's?
I'm in need of an 1/8" Die sinker's Chisel for my Metal Prep class. Please recommend a source likely to have in stock?
Many thanks,
Steven Dodd Hughes
I used to buy mine from Falcon Tool. As far as I know, they no longer sell them. I know two sources that can make what you want if you can describe accurately what you want. https://www.brentbaileyforge.com and https://trowandholden.com I am sure you will be paying a price in line for custom work, but I buy from both.

SDH

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Although I have O-1 steel and have made many tool I thought I might find a source for a commercially available tool like the one I bought new not very many years ago. This is for a student wanting to learn how to reshape a double shotgun action. I use these tool to peel away pieces of steel with the least number of hammer blows. I have the tools shown as examples if he chooses to make them, I'd just like to buy one.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Many thanks,
Steven Dodd Hughes
I got one for sale, about 6" long.

Aventuraal

Don't know if you are still looking, but here is a link to a batch of D/S chisels on E-bay; they are mostly Grobet's.....very rare find, and a steal at $75 for the lot. They are in Illinois......

item #

Latest posts

Sponsors