Need help identifying vintage ball vise.

Gordon

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
Howdy friends and neighbors. I just posted this request for info on a Facebook engraver forum, I'm also posting here as I'm hoping that someone might be able to identify the maker, (or former owner), of this lovely, DSC_0009.jpg DSC_0006.jpg DSC_0010.jpg vintage ball vise that I just bought. In addition to its ornamentation, (engraved initials, monogram, and textured jaws), it has a rather unusual arrangement of two different sets of ball bearings that it turns on. Another unusualy feature is that it does not have a pin or pinhole to stop rotation, instead, there is a thumb-screw that brings a leather washer into contact with both the upper, and lower hemispheres of the vise. This can be adjusted to either act as a friction brake, or to lock rotation completely. The last photo shows the small bearing that sits in the "well" that the shaft rides it.

Attachments

monk

Staff member
i never saw one with that particular construction. that certainly is a keeper. i'm no expert, but perhaps it was modified by the original owner.
if roger bleile sees this, he would likely know the make

Gordon

Thread starter #11
wow what a beautiful vise, did you get it for a good price, I dont want to ask exactly how much, some people dont like that so I just Graze around the question LOL
Ed: To your question; " Did I get it for a good price", I'd say that I got it for a fair price as a used block. In terms of it's value to me as a wonderful piece of engraving history and a lovely piece of art, I'd say that I just about stole it.

Gordon

Thread starter #14
if you never find out who engraved the vise, it's still a precious piece to have.
I agree, Monk. I love it as a piece of art, the dividend is that it's also a good vise. I don't intend to use it much (if at all)... I simply loved so many aspects about it that I had to bite the bullet and buy it. Whoever the previous owner was that engraved this vise, obviously loved it and took very good care of it. I feel a strong responsibility to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Sponsors