Need help with graver sharpening

Stonesetter77

I have a grs power hone and have been experimenting on my own with no instructions. When I go to make a heel, only a small point on the tip gets sharpened resulting in horrible heel drag.. how can I make a uniform heel that is not just on the tip but covers the whole cutting edge? I use a dual angle sharpening fixture.
I was thinking the linsay sharpening fixtures look easier, faster and more exact and am thinking about getting some. Another question is, if I use those with my power hone, do I have to put the lindsay fixture up on a block so it is higher up to the polishing wheel ? And what should the distance be from where you put the fixture on top of, to the polishing wheel? All so frustrating, spent so much money on this engraving stuff and really cannot even get started doing anything remotely nice until I figure out how to make myself a few nice, sharp, mirror finished gravers .. uuurgh haha

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
#1. what type/shape of graver are you trying to sharpen?

Stonesetter77

Hi there, thanks for replying. 90 or 120° I'm completely new to this even though I've had my grs stuff for a few years. Haven't had much time to use it and I lost the instructions that came with the dual angle sharpener. I've just been practicing lately with round shanks from old burs and stuff.. I think it would probably be easier with square blanks ..?
Do you maybe know where I can find a download to sharpen with the dual angle from grs from start to finish with round or square blanks ?

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
When using round stock, I grind a flat along the rod opposite to the business end first. For this I set post dial and tool dial to zero. This flat serves me for orienting the round stock the same way all the time.

The angle tables provided for the GRS Apex system are also some help, even more detailed are Mr. Clapp‘s Angle tables.

Your description sound like you’re grinding the heel with the same tool angle as used for the V shape. That would give you a classic heel, not a parallel heel. For the latter the tool angle needs to be slightly larger, refer to the tables. For 90° it would be 54°, for 120° it would be 36.5°

Lindsay templates are designed for a grinding stone / wheel 1/2“ higher than the surface where the template sits on. For small differences, you could change the length of the graver sticking out of the template. Or you put a block, as you mentioned, to make up for the height difference.

Good luck

Ralf

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
try putting the heel on by manually 1/4 turning the wheel.........I do three to left three to the right. Works pretty slick for me. paps

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Alfano has a DVD out that covers the important aspects, and most common geometries for graver sharpening. The instruction is concise and easy to understand. GRS sells it. I believe it's fairly reasonable, and I know it will get you on track very quickly.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi there, thanks for replying. 90 or 120° I'm completely new to this even though I've had my grs stuff for a few years. Haven't had much time to use it and I lost the instructions that came with the dual angle sharpener. I've just been practicing lately with round shanks from old burs and stuff.. I think it would probably be easier with square blanks ..?
Do you maybe know where I can find a download to sharpen with the dual angle from grs from start to finish with round or square blanks ?
a trick for dental burrs, the "jb trick", solder the burs into 3/32" square brass tubing that has an.062" bore. you can do micro faceting. be careful, the tiny areas can be wiped out using the hone with power on.

Latest posts

Sponsors