need info on A60 scope without objective lens

Troy-london

Anyone using the stock Leica A60F scope without an objective lens? if so is it ok?
I need to know if the stock a60 with its 122mm working distance is ok, or will I need to also buy an optional objective lens?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The objective lens increases the working distance. It also decreases the magnification. The two things work inversely to each other. If you can get along with the 122mm working distance out of the box - go for it. You can always add a lens later. I probably have 75% of people break for a lens/adapter, but there are a lot of people who can work with no lens at all depending on what they are doing.

Troy-london

The objective lens increases the working distance. It also decreases the magnification. The two things work inversely to each other. If you can get along with the 122mm working distance out of the box - go for it. You can always add a lens later. I probably have 75% of people break for a lens/adapter, but there are a lot of people who can work with no lens at all depending on what they are doing.
Thanks for the info.
Decrease the magnification got me thinking.
If I add an objective lens the magnification will decrease which would also increase the viewing width of the item under the scope.
When an item is placed under a stock a60 with no objective lens, can you tell how many millimetres of viewing width there is, no zooming? And how many millimetres of item viewing width there is with the .63 objective lens?
Thanks

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Leica A60 has 46mm field of view with no objective lens (on the lowest magnification). At the lowest magnification with the .63x lens I have in my notes that the field of view is 78mm. I'm not sure if the 78mm measurement was just with the .63x lens OR with the .63x lens + lens adapter. I don't have an A60 set up in my shop right now or I would go and take the measurement for you.

You are right that the field of view under the scope does increase. You can see more both side to side and the depth of field (what is in focus at the same time - think in focus vertical viewing) also increases. If you decrease the objective lens to the .50x you see even more (109mm) and the depth of field increases again. The working distance for the .63x is 6.25", for the .50x is about 8".

Troy-london

The Leica A60 has 46mm field of view with no objective lens (on the lowest magnification). At the lowest magnification with the .63x lens I have in my notes that the field of view is 78mm. I'm not sure if the 78mm measurement was just with the .63x lens OR with the .63x lens + lens adapter. I don't have an A60 set up in my shop right now or I would go and take the measurement for you.

You are right that the field of view under the scope does increase. You can see more both side to side and the depth of field (what is in focus at the same time - think in focus vertical viewing) also increases. If you decrease the objective lens to the .50x you see even more (109mm) and the depth of field increases again. The working distance for the .63x is 6.25", for the .50x is about 8".
I think I do need the objective lens so I can view more of the object that’s under the scope.
Thanks very much for this info.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Other than extending the working distance does the objective lens does anything else? 122mm working distance is enough for me.

Yes it does something else. That wonderful depth of field that caused me to sell my Zeiss and buy one of these, well, that goes away as soon as you put an objective lens on it.

Also, you need an adapter which is basically a spacer to put an objective on it. An objective will screw right into the scope but without the spacer, the internal lens will crash into the objective if you adjust it all the way up.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, you should have more depth of field with the objective and spacer than with just the scope alone.

Troy-london

One more thing.
Is the .63 objective lens the most popular suited for engraving with the Leica a60?

Tempus Artifex

I was wondering is there and objective lens for the Leica A60 that will increase magnification? I am a watchmaker and work on accutrons which sometimes require a little more magnification than 30X. Maybe 40X.
Thanks