Need Transfer Advice

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Hello All,
I have made successful pattern transfers using Zinzer Bullseye Shellac, Bin Primer and Denatured Alcohol with 3M 3460 Transparencies and HP Original Inks No 96, 61, 62 and 63. It now seems my printer (HP3833 w/ 63 Ink) is in need of replacing. I am finding deals on printers that use HP 65 Ink and HP 67 Ink. From reading this forum's reviews, it seems that HP 67 ink does not appear favorable. I would appreciate any advice or opinions on the HP 65 and/or other HP inks that have proved functional. Thank you in advance for reading over this request. Your opinions are valued.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
go to the outlet of choice. explain what you wish to do. most people in those venues will let you try a printer to see if it suits yer purpose. they have nothing to lose, perhaps a sale. that's good for their bottom line.
there should be half a ton of info in the tips section. check that out as well.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, take a practice plate, some tape and your transparency sheet. Try printing a transfer in the store. I use Prismacolor marker to coat the metal. Try making a transfer in the store. Also, it may be helpful to take a practice plate that has a transfer on it to show the end result. Then they will know what you are looking for.

HP has a printer that is relatively new. It uses 962 ink. I don't know the name of the printer but that would be the one I would try first. Let us know how things go. My ink jet quit and I have been printing with a laser on baking parchment paper. It works great but registration is not as easy. The advantage of this method is that you can use a heat gun to fix the transfer so it doesn't smear. Again, let us know how things work out for you.

Tom White

Hello all,
It is my experience that most inkjet printer that use a PIGMENT based black ink will work for transfers using the correct clear transfer films. The problem most people run into is finding a printer that allows you to print in black ink only. If you do not set for or print in black pigment based inks it most likely will not transfer. There are some of the more inexpensive HP and other brands of inkjet printers that will allow you to remover the color tank and they will then be forced to use the black ink tank. This is what I do. The reason for this is that most programs that print are going to use a combination of colors to get as close to the black color on the screen and the resulting "MUD" black will not transfer it looks black but it is not. Learn your printer and the settings.
The HP website allows you to see the specs on the tanks and will note whether dye or pigment ink is inside.

Please let me know if I can help with your Transfer Problems

Tom White
Transfer Magic
TW Designs the home of Transfer Magic
email at twdesigns@twdesignshone.com

Last edited:

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,
It is my experience that most inkjet printer that use a PIGMENT based black ink will work for transfers using the correct clear transfer films. The problem most people run into is finding a printer that allows you to print in black ink only. If you do not set for or print in black pigment based inks it most likely will not transfer. There are some of the more inexpensive HP and other brands of inkjet printers that will allow you to remover the color tank and they will then be forced to use the black ink tank. This is what I do. The reason for this is that most programs that print are going to use a combination of colors to get as close to the black color on the screen and the resulting "MUD" black will not transfer it looks black but it is not. Learn your printer and the settings.
The HP website allows you to see the specs on the tanks and will note whether dye or pigment ink is inside.

Please let me know if I can help with your Transfer Problems

Tom White
Transfer Magic
TW Designs the home of Transfer Magic
email at twdesigns@twdesignshone.com
Many thanks Tom. Your advice is appreciated.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
If you have a color inkjet printer that uses pigment ink for both the black and the colors, all will transfer. This can be helpful, because you can put red color in crossover areas to help keep you from running a line too far into another object. Unfortunately, most of the lesser expensive inkjet printers use dye inks for color and, thus, the color will not transfer off of the transparency sheet to the metal. In that case, Tom White is absolutely correct: if you are going to use a color inkjet printer that uses pigment black and dye color inks, you need to make sure that it has a setting that allows you to print BLACK ONLY or GRAYSCALE, so that it will only use the pigment black cartridge. If you are looking at a new inkjet printer that uses pigment black and dye color inks, just make sure that it has that setting. If the sales folks cannot show you documentation that those settings exist with that printer, go online and download its owners manual and check it before buying.

Sponsors