New at this !

nalimugmug

Hi,

Attached is a pic of a motorcycle silencer, as can be seen some lines are incomplete, I'm thinking of filling in the blanks myself prior to this item being chrome plated.

To state the obvious, ill get some mild steel plate to practise on before I'm confident to take on the job.

What graver would you recommend I use, please?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    738.7 KB · Views: 153

nalimugmug

Hi papart1,

Thanks for your input.

I've actually done nothing to continue-the pic with the red dots is how the item is now. I was asking what hand push graver would suit my application to fill in the spaces, or, and don't ban me for this, would a carbide bit in a dremel work?

Many thanks

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. i'm going to be a bit harsh here. i think you should get quite a few hours at the practice bench before attempting this. a better closeup ( at least for me) would go a long way to determine which graver to use. ideally, the graver shape should be determined by the shape of the existing work. is it round or "v" shaped ? i couldn't tell from the foto. do not get in a hurry here. with little experience, speed is a fast track to disappointment.
as a beginner, the dreml is a very bad choice.

nalimugmug

Thank you for the welcome-

You are not being hash in the slightest, as with everything in life experience counts, your advice is well-founded and very much appreciated.

My cameras' lens will not allow me to get a detailed picture for you, however, using a spotlight and strong magnifying glass the engraving to me looks like it's round.

As mentioned, ill practise for as long as it takes before I'm confident to take on the task.

YouTube and Dr Google are my go-to places at the moment, and of course this site.

Thanks

Take care

Bob

The Dremels banished to a dark corner--

Last edited:

nalimugmug

Hi,

Belated Merry Christmas to you all.

Slight change of plan.

I had another silencer that was in a sorry state, sent this to my platers for them to offer advice on what to do.

They suggested getting the whole silencer copper plated and then for this to be polished to as perfect as possible.

That was the easy bit, as I then had to find a hand engraver to copy the logo from my previous posting onto the coppered silencer.

So here's the final result, what incredible skill this engraver has to do this by hand and on a curved surface. I was and still am frankly amazed at the engraving, what an incredible talent to have.

Previous posting was plated and is acceptable. Glad I know my limits and didn't give it a go 321283295_1176453822986047_3595987713854116570_n.jpg 321505290_3373357732937489_4091834150968892111_n.jpg 321566845_1119874938718294_4731533287525634774_n.jpg Bad (1).jpg Happy New Year

monk

Staff member
Thank you for the welcome-

You are not being hash in the slightest, as with everything in life experience counts, your advice is well-founded and very much appreciated.

My cameras' lens will not allow me to get a detailed picture for you, however, using a spotlight and strong magnifying glass the engraving to me looks like it's round.

As mentioned, ill practise for as long as it takes before I'm confident to take on the task.

YouTube and Dr Google are my go-to places at the moment, and of course this site.

Thanks

Take care

Bob

The Dremels banished to a dark corner--
the mechanicas of the dreml are almost a guarantee of disaster. a micromotor will serve way better for any serious work. for the cycle part, even the micromotor would not be a choice.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
Hi,

Belated Merry Christmas to you all.

Slight change of plan.

I had another silencer that was in a sorry state, sent this to my platers for them to offer advice on what to do.

They suggested getting the whole silencer copper plated and then for this to be polished to as perfect as possible.

That was the easy bit, as I then had to find a hand engraver to copy the logo from my previous posting onto the coppered silencer.

So here's the final result, what incredible skill this engraver has to do this by hand and on a curved surface. I was and still am frankly amazed at the engraving, what an incredible talent to have.

Previous posting was plated and is acceptable. Glad I know my limits and didn't give it a go View attachment 50776 View attachment 50777 View attachment 50778 View attachment 50779 Happy New Year
Good evening Nalimugmug, If you have a taste for it might I suggest Doing some hand pushing on copper practice piece. Extremely satisfying once you start getting a few clean lines. Not a huge investment to get a fire started that may last a very long while. Have a wonderful day. BB

I am in love with hand engraving but I would electro-etch that part. Perfect results with minimal effort and more of a machine made look. You can have vinyl cut for a resist. The part doesn’t demand the sparkle and beauty of hand cut bevels in my opinion.

And yeah definitely no dremel!

monk

Staff member
electroetching is an easy way to do that. problem is--- the result would never replicate the look of the original work.

electroetching is an easy way to do that. problem is--- the result would never replicate the look of the original work.
Hey Monk- all the respect to your eye and experience. Does the original look hand engraved? It would have been hammer and chiseled, and production work as well, right? It looks maybe too nice to me.

Maybe it was stamped (with a hand cut tool) before rolling into shape? I’m just not seeing the evidence of hand cutting the way I am in the excellent job the restored piece shows. The engraving in the copper looks excellent but my untrained eye can see hand work.

Text can be hard to read for tone. I am attempting to discuss and learn here I’m not interested in being right or in your being wrong and certainly not looking to shove my opinion down your throat or argue. Please read this as an opportunity to show me what you’re seeing here! I am inexperienced both as a modern engraver and as a historian of the craft.