Announcement: New barrel holding fixture

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
deleted by author

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch,

You are a very good tool and fixture designer, as well as a top flight engraver, I like the look of this arrangement.

I am a babe in the woods when it comes to long barreled engraving, so this is only a simple observer's question, might there be any advantage for the gun engraver to introduce another degree of (controlled) freedom. For example, with this very nice counter-balance design of yours, could you envisage the barrel not being held directly locked in the ball vise, but instead, your device being held in some way in the ball vise, allowing one of the barrels to slip into a fitted shaft that allows the barrel to be revolved safely upon its own axis, with your spare hand, as engraving takes place?

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a pretty slick fixture, Mitch. You're a clever guy. Makes me want to engrave a barrel!
~Sam

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
deleted by author

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
deleted by author

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch,

I do take your point about increasing complexity, rigidity, etc., and we do know that a good rule of thumb to keep in mind is:

Reliability is proportional to the inverse of the total number of pieces in our designs !

best wishes

Rod

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Reliability is proportional to the inverse of the total number of pieces in our designs!"

yes, Rod, and i suspect that when we're talking about moving parts, the relationship is exponential, not merely geometric!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, Doc, I was not aware of those. it doesn't say what thread size they're using, but i'll try to find out.

I received a reply email from Hornady and this is what they said:

Hornady Mfg. Co. uses a 5/16x36 tpi tap. This is what Stoney Point used before Hornady Mfg. Co. purchased Stoney

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"a 5/16x36 tpi tap." boy, they weren't kidding when they said a 'special extra-fine thread'- that's special & extra-fine alright! that's half again more tpi than a standard 5/16-24 UNF. (on an interesting related note of trivial import: did you know MSC sells taps for 1/4"-18, 20, 24, 27, 28, 32, 36, 40, 48, 56, 64, & 80tpi? and all those PLUS a 72tpi in 5/16"? personally, i think that's just asking for fights between design engineers & production engineers...)

Latest posts

Sponsors