New forum member!

vanLanen

Hello everyone,

I just signed up and would like to start with a proper introduction.

My name is Thomas van Lanen, and I’m from the Netherlands, I’m 29 and work full time as truck driver delivering and placing beds.
I also have been making blades for about 4 or 5 years, on and off, but really all together maybe more like 2,5 years.
since I started that journey I also discovered what hand engraving was and was fascinated from the very first second.
it never left my mind, but had to put it to the side because of all the other stuff I was doing, and of course all the other hurdles most beginners will have to face.

but I recently bought my first house, and I made sure I bought it big enough for all the workspace I might need, haha.
so after debating with myself for a while I decided to start collecting the things I felt were best for a beginner.
I started on the internet of course, and talking about the internet, I would like to thank everybody in the engraving community that has contributed to the content that I could find online, so I decided to build a homemade engraving machine, which works great by the way, at least I think? I don’t have a clue actually, since I have nothing to compare it to besides the videos online of engraving equipment. But it cuts.
bought a cheap Chinese ballvise, and after cutting lines for a few days bending over with optivisors, I decided to spend some this years holiday savings on a cheap microscope.
and yes I know what some of you might think about those, but it gets the job done, I think, haha.

past few weeks I’ve also dived into the drawing and designing of all the elements, modern technology is been a great help, and I used to draw a lot as a teenager while in art school, maybe that’s helping as well.

haven’t had much time the last few days, but I did try out the new set up a little bit.
I hope the picture I added is visible, I’ve obviously got a long way to go, but for a few weeks of trying I think it’s not that bad, any advice will be much appreciated! E79791C9-3D0E-4205-A8A5-FB12760CB47F.jpeg

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Welkom hier.

For practise plates I really like "fosforbrons" it cuts very nice. And is not to hard. But if you want to engrave knifes. Then might as well practise on the same type of steel as you knifes.

Do you have a picture of your homemade engraver?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Thomas, and welcome to the the Cafe forum and the world of hand engraving.
Your early cuts show a lot of promise and pretty good graver control.
I would advise you to study scroll design, get some books and/or videos.
Pay attention to the scroll construction and proper shading.
You are doing well at this stage and with study and drawing practice you will improve quickly.
Lets see more drawings.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. i'll be ostrasized for this: a cheap scope is better than no scope. if you concentrate more on drawing, you may save enough cash to get a good scope. if you get married, you'll lose 75% of the space that you think is yours. a pantograph (if that's the type you made), is good for repeat layouts on commercial work. they are limited for custom layouts unless you make your own templates. good luck & never give up.

vanLanen

Welkom hier.

For practise plates I really like "fosforbrons" it cuts very nice. And is not to hard. But if you want to engrave knifes. Then might as well practise on the same type of steel as you knifes.

Do you have a picture of your homemade engraver?
Dankjewel Sinterklaas!
I was wondering if there would be some fellow country men here.
yes I tried engraving in all kinds of metal, brass, bronze, copper and steel, and thought the same if I eventually want to engrave mostly steel, I might as well practice on that, and for some reason I already prefer steel because it’s harder.
ill make a picture of the engraving machine soon, but for now it’s just the tire pump and controller box screwed on a piece of wood.
Hello Thomas, and welcome to the the Cafe forum and the world of hand engraving.
Your early cuts show a lot of promise and pretty good graver control.
I would advise you to study scroll design, get some books and/or videos.
Pay attention to the scroll construction and proper shading.
You are doing well at this stage and with study and drawing practice you will improve quickly.
Lets see more drawings.
thanks for the compliment John, I’m pleased to hear that.
and I will definitely be studying scroll design and shading.
shading is very scary though after cutting some nice outlines.
most of my drawings are still sketches and very basic, I’ll have to gather some courage first and then i might be able to show some, haha.
welcome. i'll be ostrasized for this: a cheap scope is better than no scope. if you concentrate more on drawing, you may save enough cash to get a good scope. if you get married, you'll lose 75% of the space that you think is yours. a pantograph (if that's the type you made), is good for repeat layouts on commercial work. they are limited for custom layouts unless you make your own templates. good luck & never give up.
Yes that was my thought as well Monk.
i don’t need to worry about loosing space because fortunately I’m already married to my very lovely wife, and we bought big enough so she is able to open her own dental technician lab here as well.
no pantograph here, Im hand engraving
cheers!
nice start
thank you Sir!

Latest posts

Sponsors