New guy here.

fletchman

Hello all,
My name‘s Fletch and I’m pretty green to engraving and just got my microscope the end of April. I‘ve been reading the forums, drawing, watching videos and learning to use my equipment. I finally got my transferring down and started working on my first “Advanced Shading” piece. The outlining went well, so I’d thought I’d post a couple of pics. Im still working on my sharpening skills, but it’s coming along. However, I do need to work on my photography skills though.

Thank you,
Fletch

Attachments

• A3D34216-EA75-4214-B2D6-3B4BB57367BD.jpeg
    A3D34216-EA75-4214-B2D6-3B4BB57367BD.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 98
  • FDCFABC1-A05A-4192-A18C-70C917DE84C3.jpeg
    FDCFABC1-A05A-4192-A18C-70C917DE84C3.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 70D894FC-8868-4015-830E-AE3D17527256.jpeg
    70D894FC-8868-4015-830E-AE3D17527256.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 92

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Very clean cutting with no visible overruns on your outlining. Congratulations.
Especially as you chose a domed surface for this early work.
Look forward to seeing your shading and expect great things.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very nice, Fletch! it shows excellent control with a 'neutral' graver attitude. now i would recommend trying to add some flair by leaning the graver over for some sections, making your cuts vary in width from start to finish. of course, part of the process is learning where, and in what direction, that's appropriate, but it's part of the fun, too!

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
May I suggest don’t use the pins in the vise, hot glue on a piece of wood clamped in the jaws. Two reasons less vibration ( no good vibrations in engraving) and the edges of the piece won’t get damaged MTC. YMMV Nice job

fletchman

May I suggest don’t use the pins in the vise, hot glue on a piece of wood clamped in the jaws. Two reasons less vibration ( no good vibrations in engraving) and the edges of the piece won’t get damaged MTC. YMMV Nice job
Your right I was getting some vibration and I kept checking the vise thinking the jaws were loose. I definitely give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

fletchman

very nice, Fletch! it shows excellent control with a 'neutral' graver attitude. now i would recommend trying to add some flair by leaning the graver over for some sections, making your cuts vary in width from start to finish. of course, part of the process is learning where, and in what direction, that's appropriate, but it's part of the fun, too!
I have played around with some flair, but the where and what direction got me. So im trying to study how others are applying it to their scroll work. Thanks for the comments!

fletchman

Very clean cutting with no visible overruns on your outlining. Congratulations.
Especially as you chose a domed surface for this early work.
Look forward to seeing your shading and expect great things.
Hello John, ive been trying to work on my overruns and found by turning the power down and taking my time has helped me out. I hope to get to shading in the next couple of days too. Also, it‘s a flat piece of metal I think my poor picture makes it look domed. But, you gave me a great idea to dome some of my practice plates in my hydraulic press and ill give that a try too. Thanks for the encouragement!