New Guy Intro

rackops

Hello all!

Thank you for letting me join your forum. I'm not an engraver (yet), but an author of books about US military medals. Many medals, particularly posthumous ones (see examples attached for Army and Navy styles from WW2) were engraved by hand and later by pantograph, using the New Hermes Engravographs (the Lopiccolo example, from the Korean War).

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about how these were engraved in order to competently talk and write about them. I've learned quite a bit watching videos online and reading through various resources, and I found that what collectors and historians (e.g. non-engravers) have known or understood about how these were engraved is not entirely or always correct. Thus, as an author, I'm trying to learn as much as possible so I know and can spread correct information about engraving.

I'm also a hands-on learner, and purchased an Engravograph to "learn by doing" (I'm working with my personal medals; I'm retired Navy). I'd love to try my hand to learn more about hand engraving, both in the Navy and Army styles, but at this point, don't want to make the investment into a quality graver setup just to "try it out". :) (Maybe someday...)

I really appreciate this forum and all of the information on here. To be honest, I thought hand engraving was kind of a lost art, but I've been really, really impressed with the work I've seen.

Again, thank you for letting me join and learn.

Dave

2022-01-18_09-12-46.jpg 2022-01-18_09-11-15.jpg 2022-01-18_09-31-07.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome to the Cafe forum and best of luck with your research.
Some of the medals you pictured are partially inked for easier reading.
You might use Speedball Block Printers Ink, #3550, oil based black for this purpose.
Might I suggest you include your general location in your forum bio.
A local engraver may be able to give you some helpful information on hand and Engravograph engraving.

rackops

Thanks John! I updated my profile - great call. I am actually originally from the Los Angeles area, prior to joining the military a couple of decades ago.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
since you dropped a few bucks on a pantograph, somewhere in the forum basement i think is an article or two on making yer own templates for this machine. by doing your own fonts logos, etc-- you can save a lot of time doing what i call "repeat work. such panto work can stand alone, or can be hand engraved over. send me a pm. i can get you started on the right track if you want to create yer own templates. doing such would provide good practice doing layout as well as cutting.