New iGraver tutorial - nick & round border

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for another tutorial Sam.

I kind of like the look with the triangle areas left un-cut too! The round cuts would have to be as uniform as yours of course.

Roy: yes, it doesn't look bad with just the round cuts, and you're right, they would have to be very uniform. Mine in this example are not, but the 120 nick removes most traces of irregularity. Also gotta remember that this is a very tiny border, so it can be pretty forgiving. / Sam

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for sharing Sam. It looks great. Too many things to try & sooo little time. :eek: Dwayne

austin

wow.it's great.Thank you ,Sam.

PS:Did the round graver have a heel like the 120 graver?

knives

Thanks again Sam: I will drive my knifemaking buddies wild with this, I will tell them that they have to get the file for this filework from a small island next to Isle de Pina all the way on the other side of Cuba. Thanks.

Patternweldor

Sam.. Thanks for posting another great border, they really can make the difference in a job, borders for me, have been one of the more difficult aspects of the layout to produce, to decide which border looks best on a given layout, and then the actual cutting of them can be challenging to say the least... I feel that often they can be overlooked, but when composed like these are, can really give the final product a new dimension. like you stated, these are fully usable for jewelry, or firearms, top shelf great work!!

Thank-you for the time spent in putting this together, it really helps!!
Chris.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a nice little border. I think a millgrain edge on each side would compliment the look also. You are right it would be very usefull in jewelry. Of course you always make it look easier than it trully is.
Mike

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

and thank you for that tutorial. Sometimes we get so bogged down in scrolls, animals and all the complicated stuff that it 's easy to overlook the beauty of the simpiler cuts. There are all sorts of these beautiful borders and the like that it would be nice to see a collection of them over time.

Thanks again

Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks, one more little trick to add to my bag. these things are nice to keep hidden away until that certain job comes around, and wow something like this can make a big difference. thanks again.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, I agree with Van would really look nice on a Knife,!! Whose First Van!!!:D

Monk Don't You Think this would look nice as a border on the jds Buckle,?
Dang if Only I can Find A Blank Buckle Out Here.!!!!:eek:
Will have to Pump Someone State Side!!!:rolleyes:

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
What I did to keep the alignment constant on my round point was to grind a small flat on one side, with my knifemaking planten, this ligns up with the grub screw on my Engraver, and also on one of the flats in the Vee on the Sharpener, then i sharpened the point!!
Now when I want to resharpen I just make sure that the flat is on my Left side when I insert it into the sharpener, and Voila!! it will line up every time;)