Announcement: NEW LED Diffused Ring Light. No more glare, distracting hotspots and streaks of light

Affatato

Hi all!

I am opening this thread to announce my latest and patent pending development that is a LED diffused ring light illuminator.
Problems with the LED ring lights and critics about their glare, distracting hotspots and streaks of light have been discussed in older threads of this forum. At the time of reading those posts I thought in some solutions but had not the opportunity to make my move until the past year.

All the effort was aimed to combat those pinpoints of LED light that can be painfully bright and annoying, specially when you are engraving on shiny surfaces or setting diamonds because they cause too much sparkle on gemstones.

Along the past months I developed six versions of the ring light illuminator (with some sub-versions too!) and built the first one and the last one. The first one was nice but very expensive to produce. From that point I kept iterating until I found a design with the same optical performance but with less parts and easier to build.
Finally I made the 7th version, the last and production one, which is entirely CNC mechanized in 6082 aluminium alloy anodized in black.

28 medium power SMD LEDs are mounted on a gold plated aluminium circuit board. I designed the LLE (LED Light Engine) in a way that the LEDs are working in a medium-high range of their power but without pushing them to their limits. This should assure that the LEDs will last thousands of hours. The LEDs I have chosen comply with the LM-80 standards so the lifetime expectancy should be more than 60,000 hours but the more important data is that they will still have a lumen maintenance of 96.2% after 10,000 hours of continued use.

Special care was taken in every detail of this state-of-the-art ring light, even in the time invested looking for a good and very flat actuator capable of withstand the pass of the time and a heavy use. This switch is rated to 1 million actuations, way far of some crap you can find over there.

All in all, the DLI-W01 ring light will give you a soft an evenly distributed dimmable light, with a CRI (color rendering index) of 80 or better and 6500º K of color temperature (Daylight), with enough power to work at about eight inches in the case of 0.4x Barlow lens users, for a long time, without maintenance and consuming only 12W.

Dimensions.
Ring Light: 60mm ID. 120mm OD.
Power unit: Aprox. 170 x 80 x 30 mm.
Linking cable: 750 mm.

I made just a few units to test how much interest would be in this product so please, let me know here or by a PM if some of you would like to buy one. Price and shipping information will be provided privately to comply with the forum rules.

Cheers! :)
Leonardo

View attachment 37785

View attachment 37787

View attachment 37784

View attachment 37786
Hi Leonardo,
Trying to reach you regarding your engraving machine. How may I reach you?
Regards,
Mike

Reactions: RDP

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
More than 10,000 views! Awesome!

I think that this shows how concerned are you all engravers about the quality of the light needed for so detailed kind of work.

I really would have liked to be able to produce this ring light cheaper to make it available to a wider range of budgets but, unfortunately, high technology, high quality materials and specialized workmanship are expensive.

Anyway, I want to THANK YOU all for your interest in my development.

All the very best,
Leonardo

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all!

I am opening this thread to announce my latest and patent pending development that is a LED diffused ring light illuminator.
Problems with the LED ring lights and critics about their glare, distracting hotspots and streaks of light have been discussed in older threads of this forum. At the time of reading those posts I thought in some solutions but had not the opportunity to make my move until the past year.

All the effort was aimed to combat those pinpoints of LED light that can be painfully bright and annoying, specially when you are engraving on shiny surfaces or setting diamonds because they cause too much sparkle on gemstones.

Along the past months I developed six versions of the ring light illuminator (with some sub-versions too!) and built the first one and the last one. The first one was nice but very expensive to produce. From that point I kept iterating until I found a design with the same optical performance but with less parts and easier to build.
Finally I made the 7th version, the last and production one, which is entirely CNC mechanized in 6082 aluminium alloy anodized in black.

28 medium power SMD LEDs are mounted on a gold plated aluminium circuit board. I designed the LLE (LED Light Engine) in a way that the LEDs are working in a medium-high range of their power but without pushing them to their limits. This should assure that the LEDs will last thousands of hours. The LEDs I have chosen comply with the LM-80 standards so the lifetime expectancy should be more than 60,000 hours but the more important data is that they will still have a lumen maintenance of 96.2% after 10,000 hours of continued use.

Special care was taken in every detail of this state-of-the-art ring light, even in the time invested looking for a good and very flat actuator capable of withstand the pass of the time and a heavy use. This switch is rated to 1 million actuations, way far of some crap you can find over there.

All in all, the DLI-W01 ring light will give you a soft an evenly distributed dimmable light, with a CRI (color rendering index) of 80 or better and 6500º K of color temperature (Daylight), with enough power to work at about eight inches in the case of 0.4x Barlow lens users, for a long time, without maintenance and consuming only 12W.

Dimensions.
Ring Light: 60mm ID. 120mm OD.
Power unit: Aprox. 170 x 80 x 30 mm.
Linking cable: 750 mm.

I made just a few units to test how much interest would be in this product so please, let me know here or by a PM if some of you would like to buy one. Price and shipping information will be provided privately to comply with the forum rules.

Cheers! :)
Leonardo

View attachment 37785

View attachment 37787

View attachment 37784

View attachment 37786
Are there any lights left ? I am interested in 1

sabushka

Hiya all
Just wanted to let you know that I have received my light and it is awesome. At first I thought that it was not bright enough, BUT, after using for awhile and getting used to it, I have noticed NO glare, very even lighting, infinitely adjustable intensity and hugely reduced eyestrain.
Icing on the cake - Leonardo is an absolute gentleman to deal with.
Thanks Leonardo

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
You are welcome Lawrence!
Many thanks to you for your kind words and feedback. Really much appreciated!
I am glad that you appreciate the difference in lighting quality and are enjoying it.
All the very best!
Leonardo

Latest posts

Sponsors