New Member Dave Kaczynshi, Hi

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
This is Daves first post and I thought it would be better in the main forum.
Jim

Good evening
My name is Dave Kaczynski I am A jewelry Designer from Montpelier,Vermont my shop is called "Khaos Designs" . I am Brand New to engraving. I am Almost done reading James Meek's book on the subject.

I would like to explore push tool and/or "Hammer and chisel" engraving before I proceed to air powered equipment! Besides I can,t really afford to bite off that investment just yet!!

I Looking for some advice with respect to Hand Engraving Tools or should I say Engraving Tools Using the Push or Hamer and chisel Technique. Any suggestions Where I might get some of the "Long Chisels" I've seen pictures of, and heard described by some other hammer and chisel engravers?

I would greatly appreciated any suggestions for a newcomer.
Any other sources of Info, Books, Websites,and feedback would be helpful

Thanks again
Dave Kaczynski/Khaos Designs

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum, we will help you with what ever you need. -Jim

Last edited:

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Dave,
Welcome aboard
A few years ago i bought some long ( about 6") metal handles from Brownells (www.brownells.com)
that you can put your gravers in so they are longer and you can use them with a hammer...I dont know if they still sell them or what they were called but you can check out there web site
hope this gives you a lead
Dave

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Long Chisels

Welcome, Dave!!
I think the chisels are called die sinker
's chisels -it's been several years since I bought any but you might be able to get them from Geisswein's tool and die making catalog (not thier jeweler's supply catalog) or also Mc-Master-Carr. They are about 6-7 inches long, and shaped like standard engraving tools, but much bigger. You can make some thing by your self by carefully grinding a 3/32 blank, embedding it in a hole drilled in the end of about a 5/16 piece of brass bar stock, and then using a crocker type sharpener (sold by Brownell's and jewelery supply outfits) to stone them on an oilstone. As I remember, there was a post on this forum that was called "a cheap way to give it a try" and you might try to rent Lynton MacKenzie's tapes, because this was the method he used on the tapes. Hope this helps! After re-reading your post, if it is hand tools you want, Geisswein's jewelry supply, Brownell's, and GRS all sell hand push gravers that are about 6" long and can be set in a wooden handle. I started out this way, you can do some hitting with a hammer before it splits, or you can get a hardwood dowel that will fit inside a piece of copper or steel tube, drill in a hole for a graver, epoxy it in the dowel, and the dowel into the tubing, and get cracking.
pappy

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Try the Belgium style H&C handles made by the Ngraver Company 860-823-1533.
They are inexpensive and being square they allow your hand to automatically find the vertical or the correct angle of attack.
John B.

Khaos Designs

Thanks to Jim for getting me in the right Place.
and thanks to "threefingerDave, Pappy, and John B" for the Guidance
I'll Check out these sources and let you know how I made out
Dave K/Khaos Designs

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dave and welcome aboard

You're in good company here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Engravers love two things. Engraving and talking about engraving!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gator

Hi Dave,
Welcome, there are real nice people here. I'm fairly new here myself.
After you get your tools, it will be time to set up the tools to engrave.

Remember that geometry class you were never going to need to use in your life, guess what.
Shake the cobb-webs off the old brain cells, you will need to use some tool geometry to get your tools to cut.

Keep your grinds so that the "Included Angle" of the gravers are between 50 and 70 degrees. Included angles are the combination of the Heel angle and the Face angle, added together.

A 45 degree "Face" angle and a 15 degree "Heel" angle, makes a 60 degree "Included Angle".
In general, you will not need to go outside of this range to cut metal, however, some materials may need grinds that do not stay within these numbers, but rarely.

Good Luck,

The Sailfish are biting, and I’m going fishing this morning.
Gator

Latest posts

Sponsors