New member intro

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim,

I would say like this, that right now I'm working mostly with silver, making the things like dandelion and business card stands like the house. In the Dandelion there is only one part casted, this is the bottom semisphere which holds the composition. So, the whole Dandelion parts where soldered together in one piece. And I was making this alone. I was started to learn gold/silversmithing in private closed type workshop. The closed type means that to get there and make some order was not so easy. The main production of staff was the orders from the Latvian government. We were making the presidential level gifts, I mean if somebody of the world leaders visiting our country or otherwise, highest rank persons make presents to each other.
The market is the people who can affort it to buy, reach people. It was few sell abroad. But I still not open my website and actually I'm not ready to do this. The reason is a lot of work. Besides the homepage must look different from others and contain must be with the quality. It takes time for everything. In the beginning I was not made pictures of my works and now I understand what kind of mistake I made. Anyway I'm thinking about making the same items but using gold as a material and precious stones. But for this I need a money. Well right now I have contract with the company in Iceland where I'm working now. And in the free time making my own projects.
I think people always was having the good taste. The only problem was imposibility in Soviet Union to get something differrent. Everything was similar and under very,very high control. Right now people have the money and they are free in their minds.
I was trying to find contact with the silversmith masters in USA, but after explanation that everything I made is handmaded, a lot of people refuses to trust or saying it is impossible.
Well, that the things for now. :)

P.S. By the way Jim, how close you know the gentleman from UK who is making something similar. I mean the name and contacts, sorry if it not polite from my side.

One more work. Lilly-of-the-valley. Sterling silver, reindeer horn flowers and stand. Flowers are made only using the files. No powertools. It took 4 days for them.

Attachments

• lilly_of_the_valley (Medium).jpg
    lilly_of_the_valley (Medium).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 28

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dmitry,
He introduce himself on orchid and I asked a couple of questions about
how he made the items he was showing. So, I can't help by introducing
you to him. He wouldn't know me if you asked, I should think.
He did send me email with the how, where, and when,and more or less his
whole life on one sheet of paper. It was extremely impressive.
This is a link to a sight that shows his work.
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/jmdesign.htm
What he writes about himself is interesting. His name is James Miller.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors