New to engraving need help~! Regarding Sam Alfano hammer/chisel

tristania456

Hello everyone! Ive always wanted to join the world of engraving since I saw some wonderful hand engraved zippos and belt buckles about 10 years ago at a local farmers market. However, I never got around to it until now! I understand there is a HUGE learning curve and I am willing to deal with this, however, I wanted to try out the basic forms first of engraving such as hand push and hammer and chisel. Here are where my questions start.

1. I purchased the hand push handles and QC attachments along with some square gravers. (all good here)
2. I am waiting to find a good priced Gravermax g8 or gravermach. I already have the compressor, monarch handpiece, flat gravers, rotating vise, Lindsay sharpening system and headgear 2.5x. (good here)/
3. Hammer in Chisel is currently my largest issue I found some hammers from GRS and chisels from Sam Alfano (backordered), however, It seems the chisel handles and QC pieces in comes with only accept rounded gravers. I would hate to repurchase gravers just so use the handle. My question is can I use GRS QC pieces that accept square gravers on the Sam Alfano handle?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, you can put square gravers into the QC holders, provide that the hole is big enough. They are designed to be used that way. If you have QC holders with smaller holes you could turn down/Grind material away from the blanks until they fit.

tristania456

Hello, you can put square gravers into the QC holders, provide that the hole is big enough. They are designed to be used that way. If you have QC holders with smaller holes you could turn down/Grind material away from the blanks until they fit.
True, I didnt think about that, seems I need to think outside the box a bit more!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. i wish you good luck in your pursuits of this art. years ago the learning curve was very long. that has changed. you will become as good as your determination will allow.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the meantime practice sharpening. I like to keep 3-4 of the same tool around so i can stave off sharpening for a bit.. then i will do a whole bunch at once when they pile up.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome, I found myself in this situation with the Lindsey templates “Square” / GRS quick connect ”Round” and here was the work around. Your hammer and chisel comes with (1/8 “ or 3.175 mm) QC
You can acquire some (3.45 mm listed as traditional QC) which have round holes that are large enough for the 2 mm square Blanks needed for the Lindsey templates.

After a bit of trial and error here are the finicky details discovered.

When you sharpen your next blank do just a bit of preplanning… because the square graver in the round QC hole will be off center “Not hugely but its there”.
-So you will be using the set screw in your template as your first reference of orientation.
-Next reference will be a mark on the side of your graver blank (C-max) was stamped on mine but anything will do as long as you can locate it while switching between templates to QCs.
-Third the Traditional QC will have two set screws one will rest nicely on a flat side of the square “That’s the one you want” and the other will tighten against the 90* angle of the blank.
-Lastly the QC tooth on your Sam Alfano Handle will help decide which way is up for all future bits made after this initial graver.

So if, (1) the set screw on the template is tightened on the opposite of the marked side of the blank then (2) the set screw on the QC is tightened to the marked side then (3) the tooth on the QC will be orientated with the top of the sharpened graver.

Hope this helps and welcome to this wonderful journey. BB

Last edited:

tristania456

In the meantime practice sharpening. I like to keep 3-4 of the same tool around so i can stave off sharpening for a bit.. then i will do a whole bunch at once when they pile up.
Well, I got a ton of gravers I kind of got anything I felt I might need now its time to see if I got the right ones or enough of them lol

tristania456

Welcome, I found myself in this situation with the Lindsey templates “Square” / GRS quick connect ”Round” and here was the work around. Your hammer and chisel comes with (1/8 “ or 3.175 mm) QC
You can acquire some (3.45 mm listed as traditional QC) which have round holes that are large enough for the 2 mm square Blanks needed for the Lindsey templates.

After a bit of trial and error here are the finicky details discovered.

When you sharpen your next blank do just a bit of preplanning… because the square graver in the round QC hole will be off center “Not hugely but its there”.
-So you will be using the set screw in your template as your first reference of orientation.
-Next reference will be a mark on the side of your graver blank (C-max) was stamped on mine but anything will do as long as you can locate it while switching between templates to QCs.
-Third the Traditional QC will have two set screws one will rest nicely on a flat side of the square “That’s the one you want” and the other will tighten against the 90* angle of the blank.
-Lastly the QC tooth on your Sam Alfano Handle will help decide which way is up for all future bits made after this initial graver.

So if, (1) the set screw on the template is tightened on the opposite of the marked side of the blank then (2) the set screw on the QC is tightened to the marked side then (3) the tooth on the QC will be orientated with the top of the sharpened graver.

Hope this helps and welcome to this wonderful journey. BB
Oh my, that’s a lot to take in. I’ll have to sit down and follow it slowly when I’m ready to sharpen. Thank you

tristania456

Hello, I tried my first go today with hammer and chisel, however, every time I struck my chisel ever so slightly the ball vise would move (shift) towards that side. Is it not recommended to use a ball vise with hammer and chisel>?

Latest posts

Sponsors