Newb questions

Rbrennan

As a beginner should I be cutting across my body ie with my elbow away from my side? I find myself cutting away from my body, elbow next to my side. While this seems easier to control the graver angle it’s harder to see the tip as the curl gets in the way. This is under a scope with a pneumatic. I’ve watched just about every tube video, but can’t see the body/arm position.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd nevver give strict advice on such matters. you, and you alone must find a combination of comfort, as well as what works best for you. the key to all is the comfort thingy. if you spend much time being uncomfotable, the aches and pains will make you re-think about engraving. experiment and develop a plan that works and that is comfortable.
are you aware of the fact that one turns the work into the graver? you don't chase a line with the graver. correct sharpening also helps here. side and top grinds will reduce the amount of graver that distracts your eye. such will not alter the working geometry of the graver.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Monk. Whatever position is comfortable is the right one. I wind up in approximately the same position as you with my arm pretty much at my side, maybe a little outward. As far as the chip being in the way I really don't see how to avoid that. You want to be looking more or less down on the work so you can stay on the line which means the chip will curl and cover the line. Flick the chip as it gets in the way. Only cut what you see. I get in trouble every time I "guess" where the line is.

Rbrennan

Thanks for the quick reply. As a newcomer I am still searching for the “comfort” zone. I am using a turntable but without height adjustment. I found that a low machinist vise and adjustable chair gets me in the ball park with practice plates. The ball vise was just too high, couldn’t get the chair up high enough. Your experiences help a lot, thank you. I’ve been wondering about arm position ever since I got the scope(Meiji) about 6 months ago. Think I'll work on a height adjustable set up.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the quick reply. As a newcomer I am still searching for the “comfort” zone. I am using a turntable but without height adjustment. I found that a low machinist vise and adjustable chair gets me in the ball park with practice plates. The ball vise was just too high, couldn’t get the chair up high enough. Your experiences help a lot, thank you. I’ve been wondering about arm position ever since I got the scope(Meiji) about 6 months ago. Think I'll work on a height adjustable set up.
For flat work I found that a 6" 4-jaw lathe chuck without a back plate was just about the right height. It all depends on your body size and preferred chair height. I've tried turntables, potter's wheels and all manner of things. I'm using a Harbor Freight drill press column that I cut off and bolted to the floor. I modified the turntable so it turns smooth(er). Not perfect but it isn't $1000 either.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
first, get yerself an adjustable stand. this way you can use different vises for different types of work. look in the tip section for ideas. maybe better, type in the search bar what you want. i'd guess there's a few ideas there.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For flat stuff I just have an old tobacco tin full of lead, the piece gets lacquered to a lid.. whole thing spins on a turntable

Latest posts

Sponsors