Newbie intro

Alison Harman

Cheers.

I am a retired sign painter, trained in the traditional ways. Helper first then, apprentice, journeyman, pinstriper, gilder, digital graphics, digital printer, screen printer, and still... the student.

Hobbies in my past include caving, technical diving, vintage motorcycles, skydiving, professional model builder, and vintage anything. I'm a jumpmaster and a senior parachute rigger. Most of my last two decades have been spent in falconry. I have a fondness for birds of prey and have done extensive research into new and old world vultures. I prefer hunting with hawks or owls instead of falcons. My wife owns and operates a successful falconry equipment company. I am a heart attack and cancer survivor.

Last fall I picked up an awl and dug my name into my old brass Zippo. Always wanted to try engraving. Too bad for the Zippo. I bought an ebay graver blank, one wooden handle and then a 600/1000 diamond stone from a hardware store. I put a terrible point on it and proceeded to ruin anything that wasnt nailed down, including the hammer. That's how I started.

I now have templates, a sharpening system, homebuilt graver box and a Rick Alexander handpiece. I own a stereo microscope, the correct 10x lenses, .5x barlow. Bought a ball vise, turntable and rotary tool. Just purchased a Silentaire 20A and will be ordering a Bench Jewel shortly.

I have included photos of some of my practice plates. My comfort zone is cutting bulino like images, but I need to improve a lot. My scrolls are still a struggle, but I'm still very new to this.

Thank you for allowing me to join the Cafe.

20200227_115130.jpg 20200405_230913.jpg 20200317_144230.jpg 20200321_180104.jpg 20200403_163729.jpg 20200317_144237.jpg Screenshot_20200321-180149_Facebook.jpg received_199249251502118.jpeg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
exquisite work on the birds ! given your past experiences, i'd say you're crazy enough to become a full time engraver. btw welcome to the forum

Alison Harman

exquisite work on the birds ! given your past experiences, i'd say you're crazy enough to become a full time engraver. btw welcome to the forum
Thanks Monk. Hoping to break open the falconry market. Have a line of product ideas specific to the sport. Moving to England as soon as my visa approval comes through. Most of my equipment is already there. Married a british national. Nobody has been catering to that client base. The UK is the ideal location for this type of product. I'm already living on a suitable fixed income so if it works out, fine. Goes belly up, still no problem. Not like I need to rely on it. Keeps me busy.

Latest posts

Sponsors