Question: Newby question about sharpening

T58

I'm new to this and wanted to get ahead of the game so I purchased a GRS Apex sharpening system (very expensive in the UK) and I cannot get it to hold my gravers so my questions are:
1 - How do the gravers fit into the system?
2 - I can see that there is a part on the attached photo that is mentioned in the instruction manual but is not physically in the kit and if this isn't meant to be in the kit then why is it in the literature?
3 - If it isn't meant to be in the kit then where do I get one?

Thanks for your help

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 13.18.13.png

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Apex is designed to work with GRS QC holders (the black holder you circled). You must mount your gravers into those and then plug them into the fixture. If you're not using QC holders then the Apex is might not be the best sharpener for you.

If you're sharpening traditional gravers or chisels mounted in wooden handles, I would suggest the classic GRS Dual Angle fixture which can mount those easily.

GRS handpieces all use QC tool holders (except for a couple of very early models). The Apex is a plug-n-play sharpening system for GRS users.

I would also add that while it's possible to mount a graver in a QC holder, sharpen it, and remove it from the QC holder to use in a different brand of handpiece, this is not advisable since relocating it perfectly in the QC holder for resharpening is going to be extremely difficult, especially with round shank gravers.

T58

Thank you so much for the reply, and the advice.
I have been using hand gravers to do bits and pieces up until recently when I purchased a Foredom Powergraver as I want to engrave my Harley-Davidson and realised that it would speed things up a bit.
The retailer here in the UK, and to be fair, the GRS website as well, doesn't mention any of the information that you have provided and their customer service is questionable as I did ask the same question of them and I was merely advised to return the item for replacement.
I will be returning the Apex system once more then, and I'll purchase the dual-angle fixture as you have suggested because I like to use the hand gravers as well.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
The dual angle fixture holds gravers directly (i.e., NOT in a QuickChange holder). GRS has an adapter set that allows QuickChange graver holders to be used in the dual angle fixture.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. the dual angler as ii call it is the best bet for a newbie. it gives any geometry you could possibly want. the apex is useful for those who know time is money. till one becomes competent, the kiss principle is best. once your skill level grows, the more advanced stuff will save time. dont forget drawing skill. such is required to beome good at this art. good luck to ya.

Latest posts

Sponsors