Critique Request Newby work

hybridfiat

2 months and Im improving I think. Id love to do classes in engraving but here in the desert there aint much schoolin to be found apart from the net.
Thanks for all the amazing and inspiring work posted here and the multitudinous hints and tips they are invaluble to those of us who aspire to mastery.:thumbs up:
Im waiting on my Mic and can see why they are so usful, the least mistake in the tilt angle of these 120 degree gravers results in some suprisingly wide cuts:(

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 229
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Hybrid,

From another Newbie, these are inspiring! The size and soft edges make these coinswonderful Carry-with-you advertising!

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
For two months, self-taught, that is impressive.

I experimented with washers and electrical plate covers, but experienced zinc build-up on the graver, which marred the cut channel. How do you avoid the accumulation of zinc on the graver face and heel?

Mike Fennell

hybridfiat

Cheers I feel encouraged that you dont think they are too messy.
I havnt noticed any zinc build up. Maybe the coating is too thin or the varnish acts as a cleaner I dont know.
The map is my version of an optical mouse pad as the desk top doesnt work well.
Im off the London, Paris and Strasbourg in July so a current map of the tube helps planning no end.
I took a transfer of some script back to my room last night to practice and DoH! Id forgotten to edit it as a mirror image before printing, so I practised shading lines instead. Real hard to do! I cant see if the tip is close enough to the previous line.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
lookin rather nice, hybrid. looks as though you're willing to try a wide variety of designs. that's a good thing.

hybridfiat

Variety is the spice of life. In Australia we dont have a "tradition" for want of a better word of collecting or commissioning engraving in any form. So the market is small and a diverse approach will attract more custom if I should ever want to go commercial.
At the moment Im really enjoying the learning of this art. Actually ecstatic is a better word. Ive even contemplated selling a rifle to by a better graver:shock:

hybridfiat

Fish and bird

A couple more for the record.
Thought Id try engraving a thin line drawing of a bird found on the net. The carp is by a Japanese master whose name eludes me.
The scales need work, Ive worked out how to gently radius them and also the crosshatching has to be more accurate to allow a correct centre line.
Still it is still early days.
Im going to start on my daughter's titanium pendant tonight.

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 28