Question: Nickel preparation

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
For you Nickel carvers that don't use any existing features of the nickel, how do you go about cleaning one to a blank? I just spent a couple hours just to get to this point. Do I need a mini lathe?
Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you could do that. or use a dreml type tool with a cutting burr. you can also just use your gravers to remove whatever you want. be careful of the existing background; the background is a double bugger to restore, assuming that fits with your idea for design. i've never done a nickel on my lathe, but have done larger coins that way for love tokens or pendants.

mrthe

when i need remove all the indian face i make that, first i use a flat graver to mremove the volume and after y use a diamond ball burr with a micromotor like dremel to remove marks, at last i make with a divider little disks of sandpaper 360 grit and use it with a mandrel to polish the surface

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I used a flat, no power, and sandpaper on this one. I was being cautious so I wouldn't "create" work by going too deep in places. I'll carefully use power and my GRS 850 on the next one. Thanks

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J.J. Mizzy "Headless" Wheels are used by dental lab technicians and some jewelers. They are used with a rotary handpiece (slowspeed). The hard, rough, wheel surface breaks down while cutting metal, to keep the metal from overheating. They are quite handy when you want to remove metal from small objects quite quickly. They leave a rough surface however, so you need to refine with smoother grit rubber wheels.

kfengraver

that's heatless mizzy not headless. and any jewelry supply place will have them. i like to use stuller because i get my orders the next day. and shipping is not that costly. otto frei will also have them.

Latest posts

Sponsors