Nickles at gun shows

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I was at a gun show today. I saw a table that had coins displayed so I paid it a visit. Guess what?
They had buffalo nickles. I went through the lot and picked out 12 nickles in th 1936 and 1937 years that had really clear dates and "liberty" that was easily read. I got a deal "Wow" have you heard that phrase before? Any way I paid $15.00 for the 12 coins. This is just for your information for finding buffalo nickles.
Got another gun show this next weekend. Woe is me:D :D WHO NEEDS A NICKLE?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
OK Billzach, Marcus , and other nickle carvers Sam wants to see some carving!:D

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill,
I've been spending as much time, as I can find, working on a game seen I'm doing on a martini cadet. I've even put aside building stocks and my Farquharson rifle manufacture just to move my game seen project along. Some how I'm always short about 12 hours each day. By the time I get home from work there isn't much engraving time left. Listen to me cry. I'm the only guy on this forum who is short of time.:( I'm going to have Chris DeCamillis critique this in Reno. When I get back I'll post it on the forum. This should really get some laughs. For sure Sam will cancel my forum membership. Oh well there is always ballet.:)

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,
I have a question. I was looking though my old coins . I haven't got one buffalo head nickel. I do have Canadian nickel from
the same time. I also have five standing liberty half dollars. Is there something about the buffalo head nickel alloy that you
really like for carving or is it just because of the hobo nickel history that it became the coin of choice.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,
If you would like to carve a buffalo nickle, I will send you one. Your obligation would be to show it on the forum when you finish. I would also need your address.

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn,
I would really like to see you in a too too for your ballet class.... that would be a sight to behold....Just picture that thought. Haaaaa Haaaaa!:D :D :D

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill, you've made laugh first today. Are'nt we some fools.:D :D

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The original hobo nickels were careved on the buffalo nickel of that period, and collectors prefer modern hobo nickels to be carved on the same nickel. Not saying you can't or shouldn't carve other coins, but I believe the demand is greater for carving to be done on the traditional buffalo nickel.

I bought dozens of clear-date buffalos for 50-cents each at a local coin shop. Most are '37 or '38's. As Billzach said, when your skills improve, using higher grade coins adds to the desirability of the finished product. / ~Sam

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Sam,
How about a little lesson on nickel carving. Kind of like what you have on igraver.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
In todays market the age and grade of the coin seem to dictate more of the price for any carving.
The older the better and with a full horn. I do my serious cutting on AU or better now.
i still am working my way through a couple of hundred xf and lesser coins but regardless of how pretty i make them they will not bring top dollar..

It does get more expensive doing AU coins but they sure are pretty.

The Indian Head Buffalo is favored. The new coins circa 2005 are being bought with hopes for financial appreciation.

The Canadian coins are always so cool compared to the US coins. I just did a recut of a Canadian 300 dollar gold piece on a buff nickel for a collector. I would think there might be a market up there for altered coins. BUt not sure if your laws are as loose as they are here. Find something in Canadian history that is very popular and cut it on a coin and list it somewhere. Who knows it may take off.

Check www.hobonickels.org and see whats being cut on.
Morgans are good - ask Bill
Wheat pennies are not bad - Easier money than doing a nickelbut smalllllll

Latest posts

Sponsors