Nikon microscope ques

Emiliano

Hi there.
Is this type of microscope good for engraving?
The post says inspection microscope.
2914019A-2301-4585-8F28-3F301E5B6E56.jpeg BE86398A-3F98-4EEB-BFB9-0DF4188ADA98.jpeg

Attachments

• 163A8027-802E-46C2-8B7D-E088CF815264.jpeg
    163A8027-802E-46C2-8B7D-E088CF815264.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 9

Doctorslava

It can be used for engraving. You may need to replace the eye pieces because these are old ones and x15. You may need x10 and wide field of view. There are cheap ones made in China for about $25 and more expensive (~$200) made by Nikon Zeiss OLympus etc. You need to match the diameter ( I think for your microscope is 30mm) and the focal length ( I guess it is 22mm). x0.4 Barlow lens will give you about 8" working distance. The lowest zoom range is x0.8 meaning with x10 eyepieces and x0.4 Barlow lens you will start from x3.2 and can go to x16. Without a Barlow lens magnification increases but working distance decreases. If optics inside is clean, it will be a good scope to start. Just add the good light source.

Emiliano

It can be used for engraving. You may need to replace the eye pieces because these are old ones and x15. You may need x10 and wide field of view. There are cheap ones made in China for about $25 and more expensive (~$200) made by Nikon Zeiss OLympus etc. You need to match the diameter ( I think for your microscope is 30mm) and the focal length ( I guess it is 22mm). x0.4 Barlow lens will give you about 8" working distance. The lowest zoom range is x0.8 meaning with x10 eyepieces and x0.4 Barlow lens you will start from x3.2 and can go to x16. Without a Barlow lens magnification increases but working distance decreases. If optics inside is clean, it will be a good scope to start. Just add the good light source.
Thank you DrSlava! I really appreciate your well backed answer. That really helps.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
One more point: This microscope is old. Over the years, some scopes develope a problem called “fungus”, something to do with a biological process attacking the glue that holds the achromatic lenses together (pairs made of glasses with different refraction indexes to minimize chromatic abberation). A lens detoriated by fungus could not be cleaned or repaired at home. If you go for this scope, have the seller certify that the optics are fungus-free, so that you could cancel the deal in case they are not.

Had fungus in one okular of a 40 year old Leitz Stereolupe, luckily found replacement okulars at ebay…

Cheers

Ralf

Emiliano

One more point: This microscope is old. Over the years, some scopes develope a problem called “fungus”, something to do with a biological process attacking the glue that holds the achromatic lenses together (pairs made of glasses with different refraction indexes to minimize chromatic abberation). A lens detoriated by fungus could not be cleaned or repaired at home. If you go for this scope, have the seller certify that the optics are fungus-free, so that you could cancel the deal in case they are not.

Had fungus in one okular of a 40 year old Leitz Stereolupe, luckily found replacement okulars at ebay…

Cheers

Ralf
Another great point Rweigel if I find fungus I will decline. I own vintage film cameras and know all about it.
Thank you

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I have an old Nikon SMZ-1 with some fungus/dirt problems, and a cheap 200$ newer microscope. The newer cheap microscope is far more clearer than the old one, so You maybe do better to buy an amscope instead, if you are on a low budget and can`t inspect the Nikon properly. I also have a new Leica, it`s not cheap at all, but the best microscope I have tried. I`m not an expert though, Just my two cents......

TIPS: Leonardo have a tread in the forum about buying microscopes.

Emiliano

I have an old Nikon SMZ-1 with some fungus/dirt problems, and a cheap 200$ newer microscope. The newer cheap microscope is far more clearer than the old one, so You maybe do better to buy an amscope instead, if you are on a low budget and can`t inspect the Nikon properly. I also have a new Leica, it`s not cheap at all, but the best microscope I have tried. I`m not an expert though, Just my two cents......

TIPS: Leonardo have a tread in the forum about buying microscopes.
I appreciate your advice. If I remember correctly, the amscope are everywhere for sell and the forum you refer to says to stay away from them.
I’m having a hard time deciding because I see so many older microscopes second hand from good optical brands but since I never used one, I’m not sure if is missing parts or if the parts are easy to replace. On the other hand a new good microscope are expensive but looks like the obvious choice.
Thank you all for the great help.