Nitrite Problems with gold

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Hello

I was wondering if anyone here has had issues with 24kt gold turning to a rose gold color when having a Nitrite process done too it in a firearm.
And any idea what could have caused this to happen.

Thanks J

silvermon

Is it stable?
Might be an advantage.. True Rose gold is kinda hard and brittle.
True Rose gold is neither hard nor brittle. 14K is harder than 18K, but both are easily malleable, and machinable. You may be referring strictly to 8-10K Rose gold which is somewhat brittle. Also, there was a Rose colored jeweler's bronze that is definitely brittle and hard.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
True Rose gold is neither hard nor brittle. 14K is harder than 18K, but both are easily malleable, and machinable. You may be referring strictly to 8-10K Rose gold which is somewhat brittle. Also, there was a Rose colored jeweler's bronze that is definitely brittle and hard.
I don’t know what experience you have working with these materials..
Logically, gold being softer you would expect that the less alloy you have in with your gold the softer it will be..
you would think, but there is also chemistry at play here..
I work almost exclusively with 18 and 22 kt gold, and in my early years I would occasionally run into a brittle, and at times extremely porous 18kt. Now mind you, kaveat, this is red gold, not technically rose, and had a pure copper alloy. Over the years I have met jewellers that have also experienced this and have their little tricks to overcome it.. and also one explanation that I have carried with me (tho, as I write this, I realize I have accepted it as a matter of faith in the craftsman who I respect and trust).. so apparently an alloy of 25% copper with gold is actually 50/50 in nuclear weight.. and this causes strange behaviours in the metal. I know that it is hard to wrap your head around.. but just think of purple gold. An alloy of aluminum and gold and as hard as glass.
Now that is my alloy.. but I did consider making some lower end jewellery at one point and got some hardness numbers from a metals supplier. They had 18k red at 182, and 14k red at 124... those look like half hard numbers... but they may even be annealed (at least I should have been asking for anealed)... for comparison 22kt is 75 and sterling is 80.. so 5 points hv is significant

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I engraved a knife with an 18k rose gold frame and it was some of the most execrable [feces] to cut that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. The chip would crumble out in tiny crystalline chunks under the microscope. Thankfully it was virtually 100% platinum inlaid so I could shave the edges of the lines & cavities out to exact width. That rose gold was a cast iron [female dog]!
Lake2 copy.jpeg

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I engraved a knife with an 18k rose gold frame and it was some of the most execrable [feces] to cut that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. The chip would crumble out in tiny crystalline chunks under the microscope. Thankfully it was virtually 100% platinum inlaid so I could shave the edges of the lines & cavities out to exact width. That rose gold was a cast iron [female dog]!
View attachment 47915
You may have had a B_ _ _ _ h of a time but the end results is simply superb, WOW!

silvermon

I don’t know what experience you have working with these materials..
Logically, gold being softer you would expect that the less alloy you have in with your gold the softer it will be..
you would think, but there is also chemistry at play here..
I work almost exclusively with 18 and 22 kt gold, and in my early years I would occasionally run into a brittle, and at times extremely porous 18kt. Now mind you, kaveat, this is red gold, not technically rose, and had a pure copper alloy. Over the years I have met jewellers that have also experienced this and have their little tricks to overcome it.. and also one explanation that I have carried with me (tho, as I write this, I realize I have accepted it as a matter of faith in the craftsman who I respect and trust).. so apparently an alloy of 25% copper with gold is actually 50/50 in nuclear weight.. and this causes strange behaviours in the metal. I know that it is hard to wrap your head around.. but just think of purple gold. An alloy of aluminum and gold and as hard as glass.
Now that is my alloy.. but I did consider making some lower end jewellery at one point and got some hardness numbers from a metals supplier. They had 18k red at 182, and 14k red at 124... those look like half hard numbers... but they may even be annealed (at least I should have been asking for anealed)... for comparison 22kt is 75 and sterling is 80.. so 5 points hv is significant
I am primarily a silversmith. I have worked all gold alloys and poured and rolled hundreds of ingot from a couple ounces to over a couple pounds. I have made and used Purple gold. I even made a production run of Purple Sterling (it lost color after about ten years). I have hand formed, press formed, machined, and engraved most of the alloys I have worked with. I have never poured an ingot of 25% pure copper and 75% pure gold, copper has a great affinity of oxygen; I doubt most producers would, though I do think David Fell might. I have used Acetylene, hydrogen, natural gas, propane, and electro-melt for making ingots. I have extensive experience machining 14K and 18K gold with lathe and mills, and even more so of sterling (my personal metal of choice). I also have a great deal of experience machining, welding and engraving of steel (for tooling, not guns), several tool steels, copper, beryllium copper, magnesium, aluminum, and titanium (not welding). I have poured and worked several ingots of 18K made with pure copper and pure gold (I only use Canadian Mapleleafs, Kuggerands produce brittle results), and that alloy performs pretty much like sterling. I had a Saudi customer in the nineties that loved it. 14K alloys usually have a small amount of zinc, and then proprietary mix of other alloys (mostly de-ox because of coppers affinity for oxygen, the source of brittleness). Most commercial sterling alloys either contain de-ox alloys and/or are poured under very careful conditions (my preference). I have known producers who put out inferior sterling sheet for years and their customers don't seem to notice.

I think a producer would have to go to extraordinary lengths to produce porous 18K alloy. Maybe going stir crazy with an electro-melt.

Also, I think you reversed the hardness numbers you listed for the 18K and 14K.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Silvermon.
Do you have a recommendation for a supplier of 18K rose gold that will be inlay friendly, please?
I have purchased it, wire and sheet, from several supplier. It all work hardens if you even give it a hard stare.
Also would like to hear your recommendation for annealing rose gold prior to attempting to inlay it.
Sheet rose gold gets hard during the sawing out process and the wire doesn't anneal like other gold alloys.
Would appreciate your thoughts and experience.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
pure gold (I only use Canadian Mapleleafs, Kuggerands produce brittle results)
Shouldn't 'pure' gold, be 24k, .999, or whatever, regardless of its source? otherwise it's something other than 'pure'?

As for sterling, I've engraved a ton of it and it's all been pretty agreeable, but last year I put a monogram on an old, 1920s?, Tiffany Art Deco cigarette case and it cut like nothing I've ever done before. By which I mean, when good engravers die they get to work on that stuff in heaven. I have no idea what the alloy was, but it was unbelievable.

silvermon

Shouldn't 'pure' gold, be 24k, .999, or whatever, regardless of its source? otherwise it's something other than 'pure'?

As for sterling, I've engraved a ton of it and it's all been pretty agreeable, but last year I put a monogram on an old, 1920s?, Tiffany Art Deco cigarette case and it cut like nothing I've ever done before. By which I mean, when good engravers die they get to work on that stuff in heaven. I have no idea what the alloy was, but it was unbelievable.
Kugerrands guarantee 1ounce of pure gold, not that it is pure gold. It has a small amount of impurity that causes its deeper reddish color. Canadian Maple Leafs are made from gold that is triple refined to the highest purity of gold you can get anywhere. I believe (from memory) that it is legally marked at .9999 pure, but could be marked at .99999, though that marking is never legally used, even in lab chemicals. At least as of the nineties.

Tiffany Art Deco, Art Deco in general, has plenty of counterfeits. Also, both genuine and counterfeit items were often produced with subpar materials. Coin silver sold as sterling. And, nickel silver or other base metals sold as silver. I seem to recall that nickel silver engraves very nicely, though it has been a long, long while since I tried any. I like engraving annealed A2 tool steel. Slow, but absolutely controllable.

silvermon

Silvermon.
Do you have a recommendation for a supplier of 18K rose gold that will be inlay friendly, please?
I have purchased it, wire and sheet, from several supplier. It all work hardens if you even give it a hard stare.
Also would like to hear your recommendation for annealing rose gold prior to attempting to inlay it.
Sheet rose gold gets hard during the sawing out process and the wire doesn't anneal like other gold alloys.
Would appreciate your thoughts and experience.
Yes, all gold, silver, copper, palladium and platinum alloys work harden. Some faster than others. If at all possible verify that you are buying an alloy for wire and sheet rather than an alloy that was intended for casting. There is a big, big difference. Using casting alloy for sheet is the most common cause of all the problem engravers have. The second biggest problem, more so for silversmiths, is the continuous casting process. It sucks, but is cheap. Anytime you encounter an alloy (silver or gold) that is work hardening too quickly, switch suppliers, they are not using a wire and sheet compatible alloy, and probably continuous casting. For gold sheet and wire, I exclusively make my own, so I can't help you with a supplier. For sterling I used Handy and Harmon for years until that dried up. I tested around and settled on Stern Leach. I haven't purchased in awhile because I usually buy over a thousand ounces each time, and I have been on other projects the past 5 years. If you want to make your own gold alloy, use Canadian Maple Leafs and get your alloy mix from PM West Refiners if you can. United is good too. You can make your own gold sheet without a rolling mill. You will need an anvil and a decent forging hammer; and patience. After you've done it a couple times, it gets easier. The result is a mixed crystalline sheet with superior qualities to anything you can buy. The downside is the extra work. Don't forget to preheat your ingot mould. If you need a recommendation on forging hammers or anvils I can give those as well.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you for your recommendations Silvermon,
I do have a rolling mill so that will help with the process.
Have had no problem with yellow or green gold,
But extreme problems of work hardening with rose/red gold alloys.

silvermon

Thank you for your recommendations Silvermon,
I do have a rolling mill so that will help with the process.
Have had no problem with yellow or green gold,
But extreme problems of work hardening with rose/red gold alloys.
If your rolling mill is big enough, cross roll, at least during break down (the first 50% reduction, or about 40% for red gold). Also, with higher copper, it is very important to anneal in a dark area, and don’t exceed straw color heat. It helps to anneal on a charcoal block and still using flux. Good charcoal block is expensive. I run wood stoves over the winter and save chunks of hardwood charcoal and use that for annealing.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
If your rolling mill is big enough, cross roll, at least during break down (the first 50% reduction, or about 40% for red gold). Also, with higher copper, it is very important to anneal in a dark area, and don’t exceed straw color heat. It helps to anneal on a charcoal block and still using flux. Good charcoal block is expensive. I run wood stoves over the winter and save chunks of hardwood charcoal and use that for annealing.
Thank you Silvermon, More good advice.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am primarily a silversmith. I have worked all gold alloys and poured and rolled hundreds of ingot from a couple ounces to over a couple pounds. I have made and used Purple gold. I even made a production run of Purple Sterling (it lost color after about ten years). I have hand formed, press formed, machined, and engraved most of the alloys I have worked with. I have never poured an ingot of 25% pure copper and 75% pure gold, copper has a great affinity of oxygen; I doubt most producers would, though I do think David Fell might. I have used Acetylene, hydrogen, natural gas, propane, and electro-melt for making ingots. I have extensive experience machining 14K and 18K gold with lathe and mills, and even more so of sterling (my personal metal of choice). I also have a great deal of experience machining, welding and engraving of steel (for tooling, not guns), several tool steels, copper, beryllium copper, magnesium, aluminum, and titanium (not welding). I have poured and worked several ingots of 18K made with pure copper and pure gold (I only use Canadian Mapleleafs, Kuggerands produce brittle results), and that alloy performs pretty much like sterling. I had a Saudi customer in the nineties that loved it. 14K alloys usually have a small amount of zinc, and then proprietary mix of other alloys (mostly de-ox because of coppers affinity for oxygen, the source of brittleness). Most commercial sterling alloys either contain de-ox alloys and/or are poured under very careful conditions (my preference). I have known producers who put out inferior sterling sheet for years and their customers don't seem to notice.

I think a producer would have to go to extraordinary lengths to produce porous 18K alloy. Maybe going stir crazy with an electro-melt.

Also, I think you reversed the hardness numbers you listed for the 18K and 14K.
Krugerands, i think you mean, are 22kt .... that may be the issue you have had with your alloy.
I did not reverse the hardnesses on 14 and 18. That is the information as I received it from the smelter... maybe they gave it to me wrong, but I don’t think so as that was the precise subject of our discussion.

Latest posts

Sponsors