No scrolls here

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! :eek:

A two-sketch primer on how to do wire-by-wire overlay. That post should get clipped off to the Tutorials section.

Lee covered inlay in our Intermediate class with a very similar technique so I've just done some. When I get a chance to do some more testing I'll have to try some overlays as well. Due to budgetary constraints I'll be practicing with 'classroom gold' (i.e., copper). :)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I moved the first pictures and the post with the wire explanation to the tips section. It was just too good to lose track of. :)

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
What a splendid piece this is! Alain, you have created a very, very beautiful engraving!
Your sketch is interesting. In Ferlach we were taught to do even sculpted gold inlays in a technique similar to your´s.
How will this gun be heat treated? Do you think that the steel will harden properly under the gold?
Martin

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Alain, what kind of patina you going to do? As for me, the best combination in this case
would be the Gold/French Gray.
And yes, of course, the heat tread?

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Martin, Paul,
The heat treatment will be made in England by Ledgers, I suppose and, as far as I know, the British guns are built with a steel for case-hardening. That means that they don't harden inside when heated. Only the exterior parts will be hardened and not , I guess, the parts covered by the gold.
I think, however, that it will not be a problem for the resistance of the gun.
Yes, a gray finish is the best for this engraving.

Martin, happy to hear from you. Will you come in Emporia this Fall?

Alain

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Alain,
I would love to come, but we will have shortage of instructurs in our school in autumn. One goldsmith retires, one is absent for studies for a whole year and an engraver stays at home for half a year enjoying his little son. Due to that I fear that it will be impossible for me to travel to emporia this fall.
Best wishes and much success for your course!
Martin