Noobe question...is nickle/silver

Dan Grubaugh

I have seen some knife bolsters that are nickle-silver. Are they engraveable? Or are they like nickle plated? I have read not to try the nickle plated stuff.....doesn't cut well, but do not know anything about the nickle-silver. Any info would be greatly apprieciated.
Dan

M

mcrapo

If it is nickel silver and not plated, then it should be fine to cut. Nickel Silver is also know as Germen Silver if you wish to look it up on the web. Take a look at wikipedia page on it to find out more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver.
I have made some belt buckles out of it, and they where great to cut.

Mike

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I don't want to hijack this thread, but it is kind of on topic.

Should the 420 stainless steel be engrave-able? I bought it, actually its Russian analogue 20X13, about one square meter (paid about 10USD), but try as I may, it was just incredibly, um, un-engrave-able. Tough and hard. Broke tips like there's no tomorrow. Annealing didn't seem to help either. Or how about 410, 431?

Unfortunately 416 is the one that doesn't have Russian version.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I work in the coining and medal industry. Nickel silver indeed has no silver, with the two largest elements being copper and nickel ( mostly copper ). The exact ratio can change between these two depending on your need, but there can also be about four other elements to change its specs as well. Nickel Silver can be made not to tarnish depending on its contents. I have nickel silver in my shop that is over 30 years old, and it has not tarnished. I can't remember what element is introduced to prohibit tarnishing. I have found it a good alloy for engraving.