Critique Request Oakman

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Ditto for what John B.
You are cutting great...
Seeya next year or before, great meeting you and keep the sharing I Love it...
Jerry and Joan

PS. come visit if you come to FL... Winter is great...

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great idea Cloudy, I like the design. If I may say, if you would have added more shading to the face and oak, like under the eyes and the moustache, some more on the nose. It would have more expression. The design itself ask for it in my opinion.
I have learned that to fragile shading does not work, and there are a lot of shading lines to be cut before the contrast will be too dark. I think it is better not to be too carefully with shading.
Anyway, sure I like it but as you ask for critique, I think you should search for the shading balance. Over shade it once, and you will know where to stop. But you are far fram that in my opinion.

arnaud

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Nice one Cloudy, almost contrary to what Arnaud said, another approach might be to skip the fine shading and go with bolder lines like the ones around the eyes. Expressive, sculpted lines can be most effective. I think this design would lend itself niceleyto this look.

graver2

Another example of your great success Cloudy. ( you really know your good when one prints out you work to review for ideas)

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I realized I need help with the shading- that's why I posted- could I impose on any of you to mark up the photo to point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate this help!
And thanks for the kind remarks on the so-far work!

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Cloudy, nice design. You've already started shading a little. The only thing that I could suggest is shading the leaves a bit in order to get some depth on them. I think that would bring out the oak man's face a bit more and push him to the front.
The lines in his face are great they show character and give him the woody older look.
Do you have Christians bulino DVD? Look there for some answers on shading or you any of your engraving books. I know it's not much direct help but I don't have any time to draw you out some ideas. Sorry
Rod

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I realized I need help with the shading- that's why I posted- could I impose on any of you to mark up the photo to point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate this help!
And thanks for the kind remarks on the so-far work!

Cloudy, I will give it a try adding some shading lines to you design this week-end, unless someone else will do this to help you.

arnaud