Oceania Scroll Bracelet

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Great Andrew, when are you going to teach a class at GRS???
Every time you show something new it's gets better and better...
Great talent!!!
Jerry

Abigail

Administrator
Ohhh I like it! Way Cool. He reminds me of someone I know but I can't quite put my finger on it.
You are so very talented!
Cheers,
Abigail

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As everything you have posted has been....VERY nice. To me the face looks more tribal than grotesgue.

Peter

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,
I would be like Marty and say quit messing with that stuff and get to the Engraver Magazine but I know you have that finished. All I can say is this is super. Every job you do amazes me. And I've seen a "preview" of the Engraver that will be shipped soon and like your engraving, every new one seems to outdo the last!!!
Do you people ever sleep down there???

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great design and excellent execution (as usual)!

I think you are on your way to a new scroll style - it'll be interesting watching as you refine and develop it, especially considering how good it looks now.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not being critical, but a couple of your nice bird beaks should be in here,-- somewhere ! jm2cw

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew, that is a stunning piece of work. Masterfully designed and executed....a true showpiece if there ever was one. Bravo bravo! / Sam

finn

Elite Cafe Member
very nice!
i like the way it looks like a tatoo rolling around a arm . the shading is very nice. and i like the thickness of the metal looks like it will last for many years .

very good keep up the good work.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful design and execution, Andrew!

I like the double lined scroll.

While driving down to see you and Mary in Christchurch last year, saw this Mauri war canoe, and they carved with stone tools, am I right?

I see that double line scroll on the bow of the canoe.

best to you both!

Rod

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, Some of these images are enough to give me nightmares. Don't you think it would look better with a a kind, sensitive rendering of Mr. Potato Head instead of a fierce Mauri face. You could even have his tongue sticking out.:D :D

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

A truly unique piece! I will refer to your design as New Zealand-Biggs scroll in my personal glossary.

Something to consider: With all of the work that goes into a bracelet such as yours or those I've seen by Sam and Weldon, would it not make better use of your time and efforts to initially engrave a die then have them struck (possibly limited edition) so your work could pay more dividends? While you may not consider yourself a die engraver, you could buy an unhardened die blank from a die maker, engrave it, then send it back for hardening and striking. If your bracelet were die struck as such, I might be able to afford to buy one which I would vastly prefer to a resin casting. Just something to think about. I'm sure some of our die engraving friends in the Cafe could explain the process.

Roger

Andrew Biggs

Once again thank you all for your very nice comments. I'm quite blown away by the response...............really appreciated.

Rod..........stone tools were indeed used by Maori carvers untill the first Europeans started arriving from Captain Cook onwards. (mid 1700) Whalers, traders etc. With the introduction of steel tools the carvings became even better. Kind of makes you wonder dosn't it!!! we get all hung up about tools and these guys just grabbed a bit of stone and went at it and produced some stunning work...............Big hug to yourself and Kathleen

Fred.............Couldn't quite make the photos out on the link but the whole concept of animals, heads, masks, grotesques, goblins, fantastical creatures, etc within scrolls is as old as engraving itself. The Europeans are absolute masters at it. There are some beautiful old and modern examples on the web and in all sorts books. They are well worth studying.

But I do believe a Mr Potato Head in a scroll may be quite unique to Idaho!!!! :D

Cheers
Andrew

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, I thank you for posting photos of your unique bracelet. It is a very fine example of the culture you are inspired by, and a very well crafted piece of work. You have given me new inspiration. Joseph