Old Cake Knive

tnartist05

Back several years ago while I was engraving some of my guns I also engraved this old cake knive.

Your thoughts,comments or advise are more than welcome.

Thks' Tn~

Attachments

• ,,,,,,.jpg
    ,,,,,,.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 00000.jpg
    00000.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC06125zz.JPG
    DSC06125zz.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

tnartist05

Humm?? When You cut into wood its called carving,when designs are cut into metal its called engraving. This might not be the way you engrave! But I can use several different tools to cut into metal as hard cold steel on guns,etc. Plus I free hand my work by not using patterns as Im sure you use. I came to this board to learn more about engraving and the support from real engravers.

Thanks for your input and good support. Tn~

Last edited:

hiloboy

Whats up,Tn looks like a type of engraving to me.my first try at engraving was with a rotory tool. i still use a rotory tool for some of my back grounds work.one thing i will say is just keep working at it. i had some people tell me that if you can't engrave with a hammer and chisel you will never be a engraver..well after working 30 years full time as a engraver i still can't cut for s*#* with a hammer and chisel..one thing i will say working with patterns your or what ever will help you.. and use what ever tool you need to get the job done and don't feel bad about useing them..keep the chips flying.....

tnartist05

hiloboy......Awwwwwwww Thanks,I know I dont use the proper tools for engraving like some have but my thing is trying. I use knives plus chisels to carve wood with and I hope to improve on my engraving in the future. I more than appreciate your good input here and even that is encouraging! Thanks again,Tn~

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whoa there tnartist, no offense was intended. But we do need to be precise in our terms. There are many ways of putting designs in metal that are not engraving such as scratching, etching, lasering, grinding, stamping, and machining are a few that come to mind. Engraving by definition is the removing of metal by incision. To be honest, it was not clear from your picture how you accomplsihed it. You could have used a round graver and chipped out the individuals cuts like that and it been real engraving. It would have been a lot of work, and I was curious why you were doing that way; were you trying to copy a historical pattern for instance, but since it appears now that you are using a rotary bur, then I'm sorry but that does not fall into the category of true engraving. Many things get called engraving, like etching or rollstamping, but the methods are totally different and the finished look is quite distingushiable from real engraving.

Also please be carfeful about making accusations on the forum here. I think if you look at any of my work you will see that all my work is custom designed for the piece it is placed on and there articles and a FEGA DVD from me on the subject. I again invite you to come down the Southern mountains of Tennessee and visit with us this weekend where there will be 40 someodd engravers and their family and friends in attendance for some great times and great seminars.

Last edited:

hiloboy

hiloboy......Awwwwwwww Thanks,I know I dont use the proper tools for engraving like some have but my thing is trying. I use knives plus chisels to carve wood with and I hope to improve on my engraving in the future. I more than appreciate your good input here and even that is encouraging! Thanks again,Tn~

Tn,i'm glad i could help you a bit..just keep working at it..you'll get where you with to be with lots of hard work. and the help of others on this and other forums..of all the things i have learn about engraving..the one thing that stands out above all..that i learned from a lot of great name engravers is to always be HUMBLE and to know that we are all at different level on our quest to be engravers.. and that we all had to start some where..

Last edited: