Question: OT: What to do in San Francisco?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hey y'all,

As it happens I'm going to SF and I have couple of free days during my stay there. What would be the good places to visit and see? Maybe some interesting museums? SF has famous mint and there is some kind of museum there too. Is it worth the visit?

It could be also in ~200 mile radius of San Francisco, a days drive.

Basically anything engraving related. Or art, or guns.

Last time I was there I visited Monterey Bay, Yosemite Valley and SF old town. All very cool.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
DeYoung Art museum - don't miss the Japanese netsuke display (assuming it is still there, I haven't been since the mid 70s). It got me started on the path that brought me here...

Nearby is a Japanese tea garden that was worth seeing/drinking, and across the quad is the Academy of Science.

Tom

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alcatraz is a national landmark, now, not an active prison, Willem. You have to pay to get in, not get in to pay! If you have the time, vilts, go south of SF to the Winchester House. Very unique!

Andrew Biggs

Yeah.........getting in was easy enough. It was the getting out we were a bit worried about :)

We did the evening tour with guides and a walkman earpiece that gives you the history and stories from prisoners, guards, families, as we walked around. It was done really well and it was cheap enough. We gave it a 10 of of 10.

Cheers
Andrew

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

What are your San Fran dates?

You would be welcome to come to Mendocino and stay over in my workshop house, I am 160 miles from SF, the journey will show you some great scenery, and I am five minutes walk from the sea cliffs and beach.

Yes, we can also talk shop!

One of my albums here shows the town and surrounds, Andrew Biggs and his Mary came for a week.

okay to email me at:

rcameron@mcn.org

Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/

best

Rod

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like Alcatraz it is, then.

Rod, for the free days I have 16th and 17th. Maybe also 22nd. I'm actually staying in Santa Clara and it looks like a 200 mile trip to Mendocino.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There will be a long line for the trolley wait for it! I made the mistake thinking I was in shape and walked up! Boy was I wrong!

Carlos De La O III

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There will be a long line for the trolley wait for it! I made the mistake thinking I was in shape and walked up! Boy was I wrong!

Carlos De La O III

Carlos,

Have you ever seen Tallinn, Estonia where Viljo lives? Just like SF. One steep hill after another. He and his wife walked my wife and I around the old town last year. It was a great visit.

Attachments

• Talin Estonia-25.jpg
    Talin Estonia-25.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Talin Estonia-27.jpg
    Talin Estonia-27.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Talin Estonia-38.jpg
    Talin Estonia-38.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 46

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos,

Have you ever seen Tallinn, Estonia where Viljo lives? Just like SF. One steep hill after another. He and his wife walked my wife and I around the old town last year. It was a great visit.

Yeah, walking up and down the hill is not a problem for me, hills are also included in my running training :). It's so interesting to walk around with someone who has never visited your home town before, makes you see things you might have missed and appreciate it more. It's good to have Old Town, totally new cities tend to be boring.

But interestingly enough, Alcatraz tickets are sold out for almost 2 weeks. I guess it's tourism season...

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Don't forget Golden Gate Park. Plenty of space to relax in, try your daily run and attractions that will fill your day.

I've spent a week in SF and only just scratched the surface - on our next holiday my wife wants to spend a month there.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors