Pantograph

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
I am trying to find out which type, or make would be the pantograph to use for shrinking , and up sizing drawings for engraving. Would it be the Gorton, Deckel, or the Cronite. Any info would be appreciated.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
From what I know the Cronite is the machine of choice. The Universal machine will work for most everything that a engraver will need unless you are looking at doing micro lettering then you need to buy a Zero.:D If you have the space they would be the machine to look at. They have been around for along time and they still work great.
If you would like to know more about the Cronite's you can call Bob Steffens 1-973-887-7900 he will be able to tell you everything you would want to know about one.
Give me a PM if you would like to know where some are at.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
DON'T KNOW ABOUT CRONITE. the gortons and deckels are worth every penny, but weigh a ton, almost . they are beasts, but i think they enlarge as well as reduce. most small, commercially offererd pantos do not enlarge.

Bill Tokyo

Pantographs

I'm not an engraver, but I have taught art, and I know something technically about pantographs.

Perhaps the most important book that deals with them is "The Science in Art" which details their
construction, history and evolution.

ALL pantographs can enlarge and reduce in size and if what you want is one solely for reducing and
enlarging drawings, an art store pantograph ( say around $20.00) will do an outstanding job
of it. If it is enlarging or reducing drawings to exactly the right size, and not using them to do engraving
(this requires a heavier set up than one for drawing) then you don't need either of the three machines
you mentioned.

Pantographs were invented around 1600 as a tool to accomplish three things: make perspective drawing
easier 2) Make tracing easier and 3) enlarge and reduce other drawings. They've been part of the
artist' tool kit since then. Over the years other instruments have taken over functions one and two, and porjectors are now popular for function three, but the pantograph remains an outstanding instrument for enlarging and reducing drawings.

There are three other excellent techniques for doing the same thing: projectors, grid systems and proportional calipers.Of these three, projectors are overwhelmingly the fastest and easiest to use.
"Lucigraphs" are still made, I beleive, by the "Luci" company in Chicago that enable one to
project and trace any opaque drawing in any enlarging or reducing ration . Every commercial
art studio and sign painter used to have one, and some still do. "Kopykake" at www.kopykake.com
has also made projectors for artists use for over 30 years now. I've never used one of theirs; most
sign shops use projectors to enlarge art, but reducing can be done also.

Pantographs are inexpensive , take up little space (they can be folded up and put in a drawer
when not in use) and easy to use. If you can find a used "Lucigraph" that's even better.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Bill you misunderstand the reason why the machine's like this are used are a person can copy from a drawing or a type of letter can be scribed directly onto the piece that is to be engraved. Most people I know if they need a drawing enlarged or reduced use a copy machine.:)

Bill Tokyo

Thanks for the heads up, Kulley.

If it was being scribed by pantograph, would the scribing head be a carbide point or would it be an
actual motor powered head?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A goldsmith that I know has a Hermes Pantograph sitting in the corner that intrigues me. I have never used a pantograph but it does look pretty straight forward. It has a few sets of templates that fit into grooves on a shelf and a lower table with a vise that holds the object being scribed.

There is an adjustment to set the ratio of reduction (not sure about increasing size) and a tracing arm with a point and a scribing arm with the cutting point. No motors on the machine.

There is also a smaller Hermes 'inside ring machine' that is much smaller and a different design but same principle.

The goldsmith has been working for about 30 years and mentioned that Hermes were popular in the jewelry trade.

Peter

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a New Hermes pantograph and use it for reducing animals/logos and such on engraving. It works well for me but it isn't a Cronite. The intended use of the New Hermes was to use templates to trace but you can trace freehand with it as well. The plus side is you usually can pick up a New Hermes fairly cheap from jewelry stores or award places. Most of them have gone to computer machines. They won't enlarge and most of them reduce from 2:1 to 7:1 but makes an inexpensive alternative to a Cronite. They made several models and the larger versions are the ones that seem to work best for firearm. Also, make sure you get one with a diamond "drag" point and not the "rotary cutting head" used for making plastic signs.

steichman

i have had a "zero" from cronite for the last ten years a very reliable unit this one came w/ a knife/gun kit so if you wanted you could a gun part or knife directly on the deck of the pantograph. I use it for reductions and enlargments, and very helpfull if you want to reshape objects to fit say a type of oval.i have modified the lettering deck so to hold drawings and photos. They are then covered with heavy mylar wich i then trace like you were doing lettering. Great machine, also very sensitive to being moved and you will need to recalibrate from time to time. Cronite still sells these but they are now only rebuilds, some are very old.

steve

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This thread reminds me that I have a nifty Router Pantograph hanging around. You use it to make signs and such. When I get some time I might have to give it a try doing some engraving type designs...

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is one of my Cronite Universals in use. I find it indispensible. I bought a second machine so i can jump from project to project without changing setups.
Bob Swartley sold me my first Cronite and taught me the basics of its use.
I prefer original machines to "refurbished" machines.
I have tried several other brands, and for lettering and animal transfers the Cronite has no equal.

Last edited:

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ihsfab, Rex, Steichman, Barry, and All others;
Thank you for the info. Now the search is on, will let you know if I have any luck.