parchment paper users

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
ok Im more frustrated than a one legged cat trying to bury a turd I have tried Reynolds brand parchment paper and get nothing for my attempts...here's what I am using...
printer": HP 1010 black ink only
ink cart #61
software: photoshop 11
transfer liquid: bullseye shellac 20ml, iso alchohol 20ml, bullseye primer (shellac base) 5ml.
I have tried some OHP Transparencies that were laying around (wife is a school teacher) my best transfer was 80% at best and with the parchment paper 0% on the parchment the printer ink just barely shows as a ghost image and it does not dry...I have researched and read mostly every thread I could work through in the last 2 days and im at wits end....any help would be appreciated...:beatup::beatup::beatup:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
As far as I know, you need a laser printer in order to print on parchment paper. I have a Samsung Monochrome Laser Printer (ML-1665) that just prints in black only and a roll of Chefs Select Parchment Paper. It works just fine. I don't think inkjet ink will stick to parchment paper at all.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Have to agree with the Doc, ink won't work on parchment paper - you have to go with laser. If you have read all the posts I'm surprised this point didn't come up. There are a number of recommendations as to the printer to use.

Roger

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Sanch - Sorry I'm so late in responding - I believe I had browser problems. I use th same Bulls Eye magic mix that you do but double the primer for visibility. I too have hit the wall of frustration. I have an HP 1050 printer that uses the #61 cartridge and get nothing. I also have an HP 6940 that uses a #96 B&W and a #97 color (I use only the black cartridge for transfers). I am getting moderately successful results. I ran through hours of testing - so now, getting an ink jet to work is now a mission. I was using parchment paper and got half decent results - it had to work better. The largest forward leap of progress came when I switched from parchment to wax paper. I have been using the "Cut Rite" brand (popular in NE of US) for about a year and feel as though I'm getting fairly decent results, but results that can still be improved on. Since my supply of magic mix is getting low, I am going back testing again. If you are willing, please let me know your progress and I'll do the same - hopefully between the two of us we can beat this issue.
Best Regards - Cropduster

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a few hints- you can buy flat sheets of parchment at King Arthur baking supply (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/baking-parchment-paper-set-of-100-half-sheets) that are much easier to work with than trying to cut 8.5x11 sheets out of a curly roll. these are 16.5"x 12.25" and i just get the whole stack cut to standard letter size at the local OfficeMax.

modern parchment is silicone coated and can be a little too slick. i wipe off the side i'll be printing with some acetone to cut that back a bit. without doing that, the toner is too fragile- not sufficiently well adhered to work with.

after transferring the design to metal, i go over it with a heat gun to get it pretty hot and reset the toner into the transfer medium. toner is basically a plastic powder that melts onto the paper. remelting onto the transfer coating helps it really stick to the metal and makes it more durable while you're engraving.