Persephone, finally finished

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I finally finished my the Persephone Kious today. Wow, I just keep getting slower. My work is getting more refined but it really does make for more hours of work. The theme on this one is The Abduction of Persephone. Hades abducted her, took her to the underworld, but Zeus made Hades release her, but before he did, he tricked her into eating pomagranite seeds, so she had to spend 4 months every year with him in hades. Wikapedia is handy for theme info, being I never knew the story.

Anyway, I had a chance to really work on facial expression and body language on this one, like Hades sinister look and Persephone's fright, then depression,and the tense muscles in the action scene, which was easy enough on Hades being he should look muscular, but Persephone should be slender, so when I did the muscling I had to be careful not to get to much definition and have her look like a body builder. At the bottom of the knife we see Cerebres who gaurds the gateway of the underworld and on the other side we have the helm of invisibility, which was a gift to Hades from Hephetes(sp?) Also I incorporated some colored gold to help direct your eye to the pomagranite, and then balanced it using the flowers on the other side. -Brian

[/IMG]

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Brian, getting better and better, beautiful work...
Hope to see it live some day...
Did you try the 2mm cobalt in the 3/32 brass???
Thanks Jerry

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, wow! Fantastic job, you've really captured the figures and their expressions. I have to ask where do you get your reference for all the figurative work you've done?

-Katherine

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the good reviews. Jerry, yes I have been using your cobalt drill gravers quite a bit, they really work well.

Katherine, Your shrim is looking good, great tutorial, I have been following it. Anyway, I use magazines mostly for reference, some google search images, but usually the quality is low so they are only helpful in a pinch. Kalyn always keeps an eye out for magazines that have good photos, when she is at the groc. store. My action scene started as stick figures and I built it up from there, it took some time and several drafts to get it where it is. And now that I am done I think Persephone needs to be smaller, but to late to change it.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Incredible work!

I can see where Persephone could be a few inches shorter, but you did nail the fine line between 'fit' and 'bulky'.

Cerebres and the helm are almost lost at the bottom, the scenes at the top are so well done. Ah well, they richly reward the viewer when they get to them.