photoshop question

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is there a way to reduce an image or drawing without the edges becoming blurry. At present I am putting a box around it and grabbing a corner with the shift key and pulling it in. Sometimes I need to reduce it to as little as 10% of the original size.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Lee

Could you explain a bit better what it is that you are trying to acheive. Are you scanning a large pencil/pen drawing and then reducing it for transfer purposes? Is it just plain black and white?

I don't quite understand edges becoming blurry.

Putting a box around it?

Cheers
Andrew

lylekelley3

Photoshop ?

Lee - I have an older version of photoshop, but there is a tab on the top main tool bar that says "IMAGE", under that it says "adjust image size" then it gives you a couple of choices ie, pixels, inches etc.

There should be a more accurate way than dragging handles, try the help files.

Lyle

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Lee - It sounds like you are using the rectangular marquee tool, if so then you probably have a number entered in the top tool bar , feather---px, enter a zero in that box to eliminate the blured edge. it would be easier to use the crop tool, to do what you want.

Mike

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Lee - Also if you use the "adjust image size" ,as Lyle suggested then click on the arrow next to the pixel or the inch indication and then you can select, "percentage", by highlighting the "100", and entering what ever percentage you want either larger or smaller.

Mike

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Lee,

I also use the "adjust image". It's a fairly easy way to reduce the images with little hassle.

David

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In a nutshell, any bitmap image (JPG, GIF, etc) is subject to becoming pixelated, jaggy, or blurry when you scale it up or down, depending on the amount of scaling. Scale a 3x5" photo down to postage stamp size and it's going to be very fuzzy.

Images drawn in vector applications (CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, etc) can be scaled to the size of a postage stamp or a barn door and they will remain razor sharp.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry for my poor explanation. I am scanning in a drawing and reducing it by dragging on the handles in the corner. The handles appear when I click on the move icon. I'll try the adjust image. Sam I have no idea what you are talking about. I am good at driving a tractor however.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lee: you can call me if you like. Maybe I can help.

May I call you if I ever have tractor issues? I don't have a tractor, but it would be cool to drive through the neighborhood with one.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee
This is the way I do it and not sure if this is what you are doing. Go to edit...........transform.........scale. Now hit the shift key and hold it before you press the mouse button. Now drag your image from the little box corners up or down while still pressing both keys.release the mouse button before letting go of the shift key.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty,

That's my method. When I do it with larger drawings the edges become blurred as Sam so stated. I'm thinking I may be able to reduce the original drawing with a copy machine then scan and further reduce if needed. Plowing was never this hard.
Lee

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee

What resolution are you doing this all in?

I am usually working in 600dpi and don't seem to have the problem you are having.

I just recently to reworked a photo in which the gun picture looked great but when zooming in on the engraving it was blurry and greyed. So I tried to "pharte" around and actually superimposed a scan of a casting of the engraving right over the rifle. I cropped, then scaled and distorted the casting photo to fit right over the rifle. It surprisingly looks pretty good. I used the same technique and at 600dpi.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Lee

Here are a few things that may help a bit as well.

As Marty says..............scan drawings at 600dpi which is a high resolution.

Another thing you may try is to trace the pencil design with a black Rotoring or Staedler technical pen. About .5mm is good (use the steel nibbed ones) Use traceing paper for this.

That will give you clear crisp outlines for scanning. Pencil outlines are not always the best.

Scan in black and white mode if possible. There should be some sort of facility to do this when your scanning screen is on. The image will look very jaggy. Dont worry about that because when you reduce and print it the jaggys will disapear to a large extent in the printing process, especially if it is an inkjet printer that you are using.

You can also scan a pencil drawing into Photoshop and convert it to a black and white image and I can walk you through that if you need to do it that way. It just involves clicking two or three more buttons.

The trouble with scanning a pencil drawing is that the scanner tends to pick up all the faint lines that are left in the rubbing out process. The beauty of re-tracing it with a black pen is that all of those faint lines don't show up and you are left with just the lines you want to use.

All of the above sounds complicated but in reality is very easy and once you've done it once it'll be a peice of cake from then onwards.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Andrew

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty and Andrew for the rest of the day I will speak no ill of either of you. After some investigation I discovered that the default dpi was 150. It seems there is a difference between 150 and 600. Imagine that. I will also draw or trace with a pen. I believe it is now workable. Almost as nice as a new plow. You boys just don't know what you've missed.................I do that's why I sold the farm come to think of it. Many thanks.