Piddle Piddle Piddle

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well now, I have just about piddled on everything in the shop........Hee Hee Hee!

Attachments

• DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 253

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
That is really beautiful work Ron. I especially like your practice plates and
was wondering if you ever make casts of them. I would love to study them close up.

Thanks for sharing.

Les Schowe

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Les, some of the students made some copies of them in the transition class, but I don't know how you might get ahold of them. I don't have any however. Maybe some time I will do that. they are much better than pictures as you can examine the cuts, textures etc.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, did you leave that oval open for my monogram? KRS? LOL!
beautiful work on the little "pocket rockets".
thanks for showing an inspriration for all I'm sure,
Kent

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Ron,

These are beautiful. Somewhere (in another thread) I think you mentioned that this style is more closely related to a budget style of engraving. I don't see that. There may be no background removed however, the number of cuts used almost give the scroll and leaves a sculpted look. Are you using a round graver for the center of the leaves?

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hey ron ,, if you run out of piddling i got 24 colt saa that need engraved .. ron p

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,
I just walked into the house from my work shop after a long day of engrav'n.... You are the Master and a true inspiration...I studied your pistol for 20 minutes.
I had a AMT380 Backup in my early years as a cop way back when real cops used only 2" S&W wheel guns.

Thanks,

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, I didn't mean "budget work" in the sense of inferior. I did say if it was done in good quality it is beautiful and easily done for one who can handle his tools. You can do it rather cheaply compared to the traditional styles. It has an elegance about it if you get it designed and structured properly, and I haven't found its true potential I don't think. I mentioned the tools in another thread too. You can do this style with three tools. A flat, shallow round, and deep round. I explained this in these two threads. "transition cut rossi" and "transition cut revisited". You might find some more information that will help you understand it better.

the style doesn't tke much time to do so it is affordable to the general public, a possibly good means of generating a volume of work and good pay for a minimal job. You will probably make more money doing this kind of engraving than doing masterpieces, or at least that is what I have found to be true.

Ron, yeah, okay, send them on down here. I will get a really good price for them. I really appreciate you giving me all of those guns. I needed another project anyway.........Ha Ha....... Don't back out on me now, I got witnesses..................Boy I'm a devil aren't I??

Dennis, I traded a Berreta for this back-up and i wish I had kept the Berreta. Anyway, it is stainless with that grainy matte and this style cut pretty good which I was a little surprised. Looks pretty good though on the matte finish and show up well, but then this style shows up well on about anything, bluing or gray, or whatever.

This is just one of my guns i had around to "practice" on while recuperating and learning to use the gravermax. The JP Saur in the other pictures was one of those too, so I now have a collection of my own.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
My bad Ron. I meant to say "affordable". I guess when I refer to the term budget, I'm talking about the amount of time invested in background removal. It's a poor choice of words nonetheless and reflects that socially challenged side of me. You'll see me put my foot in my mouth at least a million more times:rolleyes:.

A friend just traded me an old Italian MAB for a Hopkins and Allen Ranger and a bunch of antique 32 rimfire rounds I had. I think that old MAB will be great for trying out this style. (somethin' 'bout the old stuff I just love!!)

I'll check out those threads and read your responses. Thank-you again.

Chris

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph my old friend, I hope I didn't inspire you just to piddle.........Now, get to work!!!!!!.........Ha Ha!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, don't cut yourself short my friend. You don't have to apologize or explain yourself to me. I like you............. and I would rather you shoot straight with me than to try and protect my feelings. I rather respect you for that. I have a tough skin, and you haven't offended me. You would have a hard time offending me, as I don't give anyone the power to do that. Truth is the only thing that is really important in all of life, so don't feel guilty for doing it ( the truth) or saying it.........and I know you really don't, but we badly need truth in the world today. One truth is, people get offended too easily. Truth often has to be alone, and stand alone, and take the brunt of the guilt of the world, for they will throw rocks at you. But He stood up to it and so will I. I think I see strength in you. Don't let anyone take it away..................and I see kindness too.

"We" have created an emotionally fragile world who's comfort zones are so very narrow, but to them comfort is more important than treading on the edges of of the unknown, which can be a scary place without courage. Fragile minds will not allow them to go there. But that is where God is.

About the foot in the mouth..........Luckily I have a small foot and it goes into my mouth rather easily, and maybe often, but I am passionate about what I believe, and I think you are too, and there is something great about that..........I am in good company.

Rock on, ride on buddy!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ron,
I've just got back from teaching a class in Emporia and have been following this thread with interest. I've told you before how much I like this scroll but I don't know whether it would be acceptable on English guns. Rifles, perhaps as there can be a more budget conscious clientelle. I think it could be a definite goer on knives at the budget end of the scale also.

So I spent some time piddling around yesterday (see how you inspire us!) but have come up with one question. Do you use a standard graver to shape up the leaves, tendrils and/or spines after you've cut them with a flat? It seems I'm getting the hang of angles of cut, etc and can even form tendrils with nice 'ball' ends but I'm struggling to get nicely shaped heads to my scrolls and nice shaped leaves when using the flat alone.

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Marcus, I use a ninety degree to sometimes trim the edges of leaves and to add extensions on a line. Since you are cutting against the technical advantages of the tool, particularly on the stroke on the back of the spiral and going around the outside of a tendril, if you are tearing up the edge of the cut a bit, that can be cured by not cutting deep, and putting a very slight lift on the side flats of the flat graver. It is a little harder to control than a regular flat, but it helps to solve that probem somewhat.

You can "trim" anything along any edge that isn't true and smooth with a ninety degree graver, or even a one twenty degree. That will "clean up" any bobbles. Those will probably smooth out with a little more practice and getting the tool precise for your hands and approach.

A flat is rather hard to use because you are attacking the work at a strange angle as you have already found out, and you are probably going to get these "bobbles" at first. I did, and so the ninety degree will save you if it is necessary, but with just a little more practice on the shallowness of your cut, you will probably eliminate this problem to a great degree. You might experiment with a little lower lift. There seems to be a very narrow window where the tool will cut at its most efficient, but that is a personal thing more than a rule.

It is quite a fun style though, don't you think? And it will give you quick money on things that aren't worthy of a masterful job.

I would not hesitate to use it on a high end piece, but as a highlight in combination with the more expensive styles. Little flourishes within the composition I think would add interest, but that is just my opinion.
Hope this helps..........

Tell your dad howdy, and how did the class go for you?
Ron S

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the advice Ron. 'Piddling' really is a fun style to work with and I'm looking forward to experimenting some more. Angles that one holds the flat to the steel seem to be the most important thing and my first cuts were probably at around 45º which seemed to steep. I was tearing the edge to some degree until I put the flats on the side of the graver which seemed to eliminate the majority of the problem.

The class went great for me, thanks. I was lucky enough to have a good bunch of guys who really wanted to learn English scroll, (thanks for the support Tira) and the feedback I got from them was super. I just hope they had a good time and enjoyed the class.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
The class was fantastic. What a bargain. After getting home, I reviewed my notes taken in the class. Marcus, you really did give us 110%. I hope others will have the chance to take classes from you. Thanks for your efforts to teach others your skills and talents.

Sponsors