Practice dial for uocoming custom watch build.

colinskelly

20190612_142047.jpg
This dial is fine silver and not finished yet. It's my first elephant, and still learning bulino engraving. Trying out some different cuts to see what works best for me. The plan is to make another for my customer with a platinum dial with rose and yellow gold inlays and gold watxh case. Any feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
View attachment 44833
This dial is fine silver and not finished yet. It's my first elephant, and still learning bulino engraving. Trying out some different cuts to see what works best for me. The plan is to make another for my customer with a platinum dial with rose and yellow gold inlays and gold watxh case. Any feedback or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry I apologize for getting off script in your thread, I've never even attempted bulino so I have very little of worth to add to your hard work. Only thing that stands out to me is possible the eye could be more distinct. The one look much the larger. Again not detracting from your work as it is far better that my poor scratchings.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I recall a mishap with a 3 year old teak harvesting elephant that ran about 235k.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
here's my 2 cw-- the area behind the critter could stand a bit of detailing. just too bright, detracts from the elephant.

colinskelly

How thick is the dial face metal?
I'm probably going to use 20 ga (.8mm) for the platinum dial. It's going to have diamonds flush set and wanted enough thickness to assist in the setting. I've not done alot of watch work before. Most dials are much thinner so some extra planning needs to happen to allow for the extra height and clearance of the hands as they spin around.

colinskelly

here's my 2 cw-- the area behind the critter could stand a bit of detailing. just too bright, detracts from the elephant.
I totally agree. There is alot of detail still needed to the background and the elephant. Thank you for your comments